Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Companies scanning developed film in UK?

Benz3ne
Posted 04/07/2023 - 11:00 Link
As per the title - I've got negatives (and will continue to generate negatives) that have yet to be scanned.
As such, I'm looking for an inexpensive option for these. I know there are some companies doing it with low res photos, but ideally I'd like a mid-to-high res option for as little money as possible.
Any/all suggestions welcome!
Diolch yn fawr/thanks a lot.
Defragged
Posted 04/07/2023 - 12:16 Link
Have you considered doing your own scanning using your DSLR. If you do a search on YouTube will find lots of useful of advice and you won't need to be reliant on third parties.

Takes up time but keeps costs down and once you have mastered your setup & technique it should be plain sailing.

Good luck.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Spad
Posted 04/07/2023 - 12:29 Link
Try these guys...

DS Colour Labs

Or another option is this
The Legendary Terry Pratchett once said:
At the beggining there was nothing....

Which exploded....
Edited by Spad: 04/07/2023 - 12:32
Posted 04/07/2023 - 13:54 Link
Defragged wrote:
Have you considered doing your own scanning using your DSLR. If you do a search on YouTube will find lots of useful of advice and you won't need to be reliant on third parties.

Takes up time but keeps costs down and once you have mastered your setup & technique it should be plain sailing.

Good luck.

Yes, I've had reasonable success doing this with my K50 + FA50mm Macro and an old slide/neg copier attached to the lens filter thread. Both BW and Colour negs and colour slides. For larger negatives etc. I've used a light board and the macro lens.

Here's an example from a 35mm BW neg:

Comment Image
Defragged
Posted 04/07/2023 - 16:57 Link
MikeInDevon wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f=Yes, I've had reasonable success doing this with my K50 + FA50mm Macro and an old slide/neg copier attached to the lens filter thread. Both BW and Colour negs and colour slides. For larger negatives etc. I've used a light board and the macro lens.

Nice.

Also, a redundant enlarger stand can be re-purposed to carry the camera & lens. It would provide both stability and the ability to lower & raise the camera to facilitate zooming and focusing.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!
Benz3ne
Posted 04/07/2023 - 21:50 Link
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, serious food for thought!
michaelblue
Posted 06/07/2023 - 13:33 Link
Benz3ne wrote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, serious food for thought!

I have a Minolta film and slide scanner for sale, I bought it to scan all my slides and negatives but it is now not being used.
It comes with the software, cables, slide holder and 35mm film holder plus instruction book. Works perfectly.
Comment Image

Would sell for £100 plus postage
Regards,
Michael
roberrl
Posted 13/07/2023 - 14:41 Link
And I bought Michael's scanner to replace my existing model.
Thank you for an easy transaction which gives me something to use on the long winter evenings

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.