Christenings?

vic cross

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 08:29
I've been asked to photograph a friends babies christening about August time. In the past I used to do wedding photography but never did a christening. Has anyone out there done a christening as a photographer and not just as a guest taking happy snaps? I know it's still someway off but I like to do my research and study so I know what I'm doing.
Tips, advice, and examples all gratefully received.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

johnriley

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 08:56
I'm sure you have the skills to take the images Vic. As for the set of photos, then I suppose for bride and groom substitute baby and parents, everything else being small and larger family groups. Add some candids of other guests and anything interesting going on and we have it sorted.

Don't forget to get a shot of the water flowing onto the baby's head, a critical moment just like the newly married couple kissing at the end of the ceremony.
Best regards, John

Eastridge

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 09:49
At my nephews christening my sister had a pro do some shots he covered:

- people arriving at church

- baby with parents at front of church being given a candle

- various groups around font

- actual water moment as john suggests

- people leaving church

- usual sort of shots at pub gathering afterwards.

I don't know how 'standard' Christenings are, this one seemed quite sponantious with the vicar reacting to what baby did rather than trying to force baby to follow a set service. May be worth finding out how the vicar for your ceremony intends to play it / do so you know what's coming.

My observation was the photograhpher needed to be more reactive than with a wedding, baby doesn't pose on request or even keep still & will do funny things that it would be good to capture if your quick enough.

Sure you will be fine, this chap seemed to have less experience than I believe you do and he got OK shots.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod

Gamka

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 10:24
Given that they will not pose on request, think about eithe bracketing with +/- 0.3 or using continuous shooting to get three or four images.

Spacus

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 11:08
Again I belong to a very big church in Northampton, so am shooting at least six to 8 a year plus weddings. I completely agree with John, I like to go the informal shooting after, I have a few shots of the baby before church and dressing up etc. Also bearing in mind my church is charismatic so there is a lot of dancing socializing after the ceremony.

Keep it not too formal I'd say.

vic cross

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 22:33
Thanks to all. It seems a little common sense will go a long way plus a speedy reaction for when the baby smiles. (GETS WIND)? I'm sure the priest will allow the "Water" shot as way back he allowed me behind him to get the actual ring going on shot. He's a very understanding priest.

Spacus. Do you do many christenings? As you may have noticed I'm in Northampton too. Kettering. Maybe one day we might meet?

CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Stuey

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 22:45
My experience is that in the Church you have two issues crap light and not allowed to use flash

If you think crap light, really crap light and work around it you will be fine

You can do it Vic
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

vic cross

Link Posted 02/05/2014 - 23:03
Stuey. It's not till August so I'll have time to get used to my nice new K3 which I believe can photograph a black cat in a black coal cellar without a flash and still get good results. This particular church is quite good for light but also as I said this priest is quite good and he let me use flash many years ago at a wedding.
He has been promoted over the years from Father John to Cannon John so he must be doing something right. Plus he's my wife's priest so I know him a little as well so this should help as well.
CHEERS Vic.

Eastridge

Link Posted 04/05/2014 - 09:31
Light, quite right to be aware but my k-x coped with the snapshots I took during the service without need for flash.

I had the fast 35 on which helped but couldn't go silly with wide aperture as needed good DOF. Sure you and your K3 will cope admirably with the right set up.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.