Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cheap circular polarisers

Aero
Posted 17/10/2014 - 14:30 Link
I used polarising filters regularly in my film days but haven't bothered/been able to justify the cost after switching to digital. An email from good old 7DayShop offered polarisers at what seemed like a ridiculously low price and I thought I'd try one out on my 16-45 (£3.99). First impressions weren't good -- the filter was loose in the mount because the retaining ring hadn't been tightened. Sorted this and everything now looks good. First shots show no discernable deterioration in sharpness and no colour cast. Haven't used it outside yet but I'll be interested in seeing the results. Might be worth a punt for anyone thinking of trying out a polariser before investing £60-odd. link. At first glance, you'd think these polarisers would be rubbish. Oddly, they're not, although some may have quality-control issues and I've just been lucky.

Al
Edited by Aero: 17/10/2014 - 14:34
fritzthedog
Posted 17/10/2014 - 19:06 Link
Rule of thumb - generally you get what you pay for with filters - especially CPLs

I have tried some cheap ones that were complete rubbish.

Normally I use Hoya pro digital or kenko pro

However - my favorite is a 'no brand' from India bought off ebay for about £4 .

So - despite the rule of thumb - you sometimes get lucky

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
davidstorm
Posted 17/10/2014 - 23:53 Link
I use a Hoya Pro1 polariser which is superb. However, I also have a £3 cheapo one off ebay, made in China. This can be useful for using on conjunction with a ND Grad filter, where the combined effect with the Hoya Pro1 would be too strong.

For most situations though, the Hoya is the clear winner.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.