Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

"Cheap" Pinchcap lens caps!

jeallen01
Posted 21/11/2019 - 18:28 Link
Lost the 72mm pinch cap for my 17-70 Sigma when on holiday and replacements generally seem to be about £15-£20 - but just come across this range from Microglobe (remember them? - but possibly not for the best of reasons!) for around £6-£10 posted, so taking a chance on the £6.99 "Braun" one with the integral elastic keeper!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Edited by jeallen01: 21/11/2019 - 18:29
Mike-P
Posted 21/11/2019 - 18:43 Link
But they have a proper Sigma one for £9.20 or best offer LINK

Probably get it for around £8 ... personally I am really funny about lens caps, they have to be OEM. Dunno why really.
jeallen01
Posted 21/11/2019 - 18:52 Link
Mike-P wrote:
But they have a proper Sigma one for £9.20 or best offer LINK

Probably get it for around £8 ... .

Likely so, but I'll probably lose the new one in fairly short order anyway - and the lens only cost me around £65 from a forum member around 3yrs ago, so the £6.99 one is around 10% of that cost, whereas a an £8-£10 one would be more like 12-16%

Anyway, I posted about these in case anyone else is the same position and needs new ones (maybe you could buy a couple "just in case" )
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Mike-P
Posted 21/11/2019 - 19:32 Link
The link actually came in handy for me anyway as I needed a couple of Sigma rear Nikon fit caps. For some reason people always seem to put a proper Nikon one on instead ... I often wonder if they also have Nikon lenses with Sigma rear caps on at home on a shelf.

Oh and having the proper rear caps does my head in as much as having the correct front cap ... again, dunno why because I really am one of the most untidy people around.
jeallen01
Posted 21/11/2019 - 19:44 Link
:
jeallen01
Posted 23/11/2019 - 18:34 Link
Pinch Cap from Microglobe arrived today (was promised for Tues 2nd Dec!), looked to be in the correct (Braun branded) packagng and fitted the Sigma lens correctly.

Nothing to complain about!
womble
Posted 23/11/2019 - 22:59 Link
Not so bothered about the rear caps but I do like to have the "proper" front caps, especially for my older manual glass. The K series lens caps can go for a small fortune...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
HarisF1
Posted 24/11/2019 - 14:06 Link
Bought two lenses from the US, both came without front caps.

There's a massive difference in ethos and culture over there...
All the gear with no idea
jeallen01
Posted 24/11/2019 - 21:32 Link
HarisF1 wrote:

And Thus, how are you going to "fix" those "discrepancies"?

BTW: had a look for at the "Microglobe"adress " (a business card that came with the lens cap was included in the jiffy bag!), and it seems to be a property in a "Place off a Place" in W1A and not an actual shop - but, Hey, it worked for me
Edited by jeallen01: 24/11/2019 - 21:40
HarisF1
Posted 24/11/2019 - 22:07 Link
jeallen01 wrote:
HarisF1 wrote:

And Thus, how are you going to "fix" those "discrepancies"?

BTW: had a look for at the "Microglobe"adress " (a business card that came with the lens cap was included in the jiffy bag!), and it seems to be a property in a "Place off a Place" in W1A and not an actual shop - but, Hey, it worked for me

Cheap eBay caps will have to do the trick, I don't think paying for genuine caps would increase the value of these lenses (especially when one Sigma lens has an 82mm cap!!)

Also I used Microglobe a few years ago as they had the O-GPS1 at a great price. It arrived without any issues. In fact they gave me a small discount too.
All the gear with no idea
Edited by HarisF1: 24/11/2019 - 22:08
johnha
Posted 24/11/2019 - 22:58 Link
I often leave genuine caps at home, taking only generic ones if I think I might lose them. I once got a genuine M stlye cap stuck on a no-brand filter on my M80-200, it took a bit of twisting to get it off.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.