Chase Jarvis test drives the camera Pentax should've built.

Don

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 15:16
A nikon d90 shooting high def video at 720p!
link

Told you guys my camera wasn't too far fetched!
Pentax/Samsung....PAY ATTENTION!
Don't make us wedding shooters wait five years, before you give us something....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Pwynnej

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 15:39
WHAT!?!?!?

If I want video I get a video camera.....this feature caters for the dweeb market and all I want is a camera I can get decent stills from... to put in features like that smacks of making compromises in the camera itself

Sorry to sound negative.... my K10D and Mamiya 645 give me everything I need from a camera. Granted, I would want enhanced AF and FPS (and CF card slot) from a KxD, but VIDEO???
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100 (gone now!). The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 15:49
I read this on another forum. I can see the advantages of being able to soot short videos. The Bill payer could do this on his Canon S2 and has a few little films which are quite good, including the birth of a wildebeest in Tanzania, and of the grandson. It is nice to see, but I would never buy a camcorder just for the odd bit of video. i wouldn't mind being able to shoot short videos.
It does however increase the chances of digital camera's being subjected to the higher import duties levied on camcorders by the EU

Interesting too that Nikon didn't wait for Photokina next week to announce this. I'd be almost tempted if I hadn't just got the K20D .

Don

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 16:07
I shoot weddings.
there are moments in a wedding day that beg to be frozen, and preserved in a photo.
an intimate glance, a kiss... something easily lost in the confusion of video. video won't capture that feeling. no clutter, no distractions no noise....a photo.
but there are also things that need to be felt, heard, captured alive...a photo of a person holding a microphone won't bring back every word they said...video

To truthfully tell the story of a wedding... you need both.
Last Edited by Don on 27/08/2008 - 16:17

Mannesty

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 17:59
Don wrote:
To truthfully tell the story of a wedding... you need both.

"The truth, you want the truth?" You can't handle the truth." Jack Nicholson - A few good men. (I think).

Don's right though. Weddings need both stills and video to tell the bigger story.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Don

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 18:04
It's not just about being right....the price point on that camera puts it in line with the k20.
so for those that don't want video, just don't turn that dial to "MOVIE" mode, it's still a d-slr with no compromises!
I'm guessing Nikon released it before the big shows to get the "First in the world" boasting rights...they probably know other cameras from other manufacturers have or are working on models to compete!

woodworm

Link Posted 27/08/2008 - 18:23
I use the video mode on my p&s occasionally and it can be a fun feature, but hardly of any quality.

but ....

When I bought my K10D it was between the Pentax and the D80. If the K10D had video mode I would have probably gone with the Nikon as somewhere in my mind I think it's a bit of a gimmick and therefore the camera is just a toy. I would be disappointed if Pentax introduced this on future cameras.

Probably the same reason I don't take photo's on my phone!

McBrian

Link Posted 28/08/2008 - 10:17
For all intents and purposes this is a marketing gimmick by Nikon, no auto focus in movie mode !!!!! hold the camera, look at the screen and operate the focus ring all at the samr time, pure marketing bollocks
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 28/08/2008 - 10:18

Don

Link Posted 28/08/2008 - 14:54
McBrian, Pro video makers are buying 35mm lens adaptors for thier video cams costing several thousand dollars, to get those "features".
they take slr lenses, wide angle primes, mounted to a box and have the image area from the slr lens projecting onto a translucent (think focus screen type glass) glass plate that the video camera records off, the plates are often vibrated, or spun to keep them moving so the video cam doesn't focus on the screen itself or any dirt that geys on the screen.

that is highly desireable if you want to make your video look like it was shot on 35mm motion picture film.

vid cams cannot achieve the shallow dof, rack focus tricks, due to the tiny imaging sensors!

and like us, pro video makers use manual controls for aperture, shutter, focus, and white balance, whenever they can!
Last Edited by Don on 28/08/2008 - 14:56

McBrian

Link Posted 28/08/2008 - 15:12
Don wrote:
McBrian, Pro video makers are buying 35mm lens adaptors for thier video cams costing several thousand dollars, to get those "features".
they take slr lenses, wide angle primes, mounted to a box and have the image area from the slr lens projecting onto a translucent (think focus screen type glass) glass plate that the video camera records off, the plates are often vibrated, or spun to keep them moving so the video cam doesn't focus on the screen itself or any dirt that geys on the screen.

that is highly desireable if you want to make your video look like it was shot on 35mm motion picture film.

vid cams cannot achieve the shallow dof, rack focus tricks, due to the tiny imaging sensors!

and like us, pro video makers use manual controls for aperture, shutter, focus, and white balance, whenever they can!

I take your point Don, but those are dedicated video cams with ergonomics, control layouts, big offset view finders etc and....Ooh!! wait a minute......a microphone all specifically designed for the purpose, an SLR is not.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

MattMatic

Link Posted 28/08/2008 - 17:26
Quote:
Ooh!! wait a minute......a microphone

The D90 has one
Probably a bit "naff" quality - but hey ho! Can't be any worse than a pocket digicam. Enough to be able to sync with a proper digital recording though in video post-production
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 28/08/2008 - 17:27

Don

Link Posted 28/08/2008 - 17:56
it also has a short recording time....5mins at highest quality...
enough to film a clip, of a selective dof, or rack focus effect, telephoto or fisheye etc, to add in to your video timeline, along with your video camera footage......

Clarky

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 14:02
Here's some further Info on the Nikon D90, Interesting

link
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

ChrisA

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 14:09
Don wrote:

I know a girl who's a professional Focus Puller in the film industry.

She basically follows the camera about, adjusting the focus manually and continuously.

She has to know what's going on in the movie well enough, to know what the cameraman's pointing at, and what needs to be in focus, and adjust in real time.

All this without, would you believe, looking through the viewfinder.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Mongoose

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 15:12
does the ability to shoot video increase the:

1. Size

2. Weight

3. cost

of the camera. If no to all 3, I'm happy for them to include it, hell I might even use it once in a while. If yes to any one of those, I'd rather they left it out. If I wanted to shoot video, I'd buy a video camera.

Now the high ISO capabilitys they alluded to in that video, that's a different matter. The one thing I will one day probably upgrade my K10D to get is better high ISO performance.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Last Edited by Mongoose on 30/08/2008 - 15:13
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.