Celebrity Photographer...!!


stub

Link Posted 13/09/2018 - 18:53
Tommorrow I'm at the Wex open day in Manchester. As its what was Calumet of old im not expecting to many Pentax offerings. But quite a selection of studio lighting items to interest me..

The new store is opened by Mike McCartney.. (Mike McGear) Who is now a celebrity photographer of some rapute.. If like me and your of a certain age and where around in the Seventies. You may know him as a poet or the lead singer of the group "The Scaffold" Having a little chart success at the time. Changing his name to Mike McGear because he was infact the younger brother of Paul McCartney.. Cant have been easy at that time.

He's there for the day to answer photography questions.... But my mind is blank.....!!

If you met a celebrity photographer what would be the type of things you would want to ask them...?
Help me out...lol Thanks in advance...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

alfpics

Link Posted 13/09/2018 - 19:02
stub wrote:
Tommorrow I'm at the Wex open day in Manchester. As its what was Calumet of old im not expecting to many Pentax offerings. But quite a selection of studio lighting items to interest me..

The new store is opened by Mike McCartney.. (Mike McGear) Who is now a celebrity photographer of some rapute.. If like me and your of a certain age and where around in the Seventies. You may know him as a poet or the lead singer of the group "The Scaffold" Having a little chart success at the time. Changing his name to Mike McGear because he was infact the younger brother of Paul McCartney.. Cant have been easy at that time.

He's there for the day to answer photography questions.... But my mind is blank.....!!

If you met a celebrity photographer what would be the type of things you would want to ask them...?
Help me out...lol Thanks in advance
...

Er - do you use Pentax gear? If not, why not?....
Andy

stub

Link Posted 13/09/2018 - 19:09
I think he's a Nikon user Andy.... But just done a landscape book. So no reason why he shouldn't....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

RobL

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 07:44
So his niece would be Mary McCartney, another highly reputed photographer. Stumped for questions though, I would need to see his work first.

myles

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 10:00
Does he have any Medicinal Compound left and would help my photography?

Algernon

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 11:09
Ask him for a picture of an 'Aintree Iron'

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Mike-P

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 11:46
As a celebrity photographer is he known as Mike McCartney or Mike McGear?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

stub

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 20:30
To be honest I didn't bother to speak to him.. I must have developed a shy retiring streak all of a sudden..

I was more concerned that there were no Pentax products in the entire store.. Make of that what you may !!
No Pentax Cameras of any type.
Zeiss lenses no Pentax Mount.
Sigma lenses no Pentax mount.
Not even a trigger to fire the profoto lights... But thats not really a surprise !!

Absolutely great photo walk from Damian McGillicuddy though.. Which was worth turning up for on its own...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

michaelblue

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 21:11
I went to wex in Birmingham....A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME! They had a total of probably half a dozen cameras (fuji, nikon and sony - no Canon and no Pentax), a few lenses in a glass case and the rest was bags, tripods etc. When I asked to see a Pentax lens this shop was advertising on it's website the reply was " oh we don't keep stock here, it's all kept in Nottingham, we can order it" I FELT LIKE PUNCHING HIM! When I asked why that was not indicated on the website and if he'd like to pay for my fuel I just wasted on an hours journey, he just walked off
DON'T BOTHER WITH WEX!!

Oh and I would have asked mike mcartney why he thinks he's qualified to give advice to other photographers
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Last Edited by michaelblue on 14/09/2018 - 21:14

RobL

Link Posted 14/09/2018 - 22:00
michaelblue wrote:
I went to wex in Birmingham....A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME! They had a total of probably half a dozen cameras (fuji, nikon and sony - no Canon and no Pentax), a few lenses in a glass case and the rest was bags, tripods etc. When I asked to see a Pentax lens this shop was advertising on it's website the reply was " oh we don't keep stock here, it's all kept in Nottingham, we can order it" I FELT LIKE PUNCHING HIM! When I asked why that was not indicated on the website and if he'd like to pay for my fuel I just wasted on an hours journey, he just walked off:

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking of making the trip under the impression it was a really large store. I do order online from Wex when the deal is right but there are places which keep stock on show and I prefer to use them when I can.

barkin

Link Posted 15/09/2018 - 13:06
Surely if the website says an item is in stock, that just means that you can order it online and they'll post it (pretty much) straight away.

The whole of thier product range, on the website, is massive - personally, I wouldn't expect every store to carry everything! If there was something specific that I wanted to get touchy-feely with, I'd give 'em a ring before putting my shoes on.

FWIW I've always found Wex great to deal with.

michaelblue

Link Posted 15/09/2018 - 17:36
barkin wrote:
Surely if the website says an item is in stock, that just means that you can order it online and they'll post it (pretty much) straight away.

The whole of thier product range, on the website, is massive - personally, I wouldn't expect every store to carry everything! If there was something specific that I wanted to get touchy-feely with, I'd give 'em a ring before putting my shoes on.

FWIW I've always found Wex great to deal with.

They said it was available 'in store'
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

RobL

Link Posted 15/09/2018 - 18:06
barkin wrote:
Surely if the website says an item is in stock, that just means that you can order it online and they'll post it (pretty much) straight away.

The whole of thier product range, on the website, is massive - personally, I wouldn't expect every store to carry everything! If there was something specific that I wanted to get touchy-feely with, I'd give 'em a ring before putting my shoes on.

FWIW I've always found Wex great to deal with.

You need to check the store list, more often than not an ‘in stock’ item is only at Norwich or possibly London. I arrived at Clifton Cameras in Dursley for something in stock to be told it was in their warehouse, and best to call first so they can source it. Fair enough, they do have a decent showroom but clearly not room for everything.

barkin

Link Posted 15/09/2018 - 19:47
RobL wrote:

You need to check the store list,

Me? Nah - I'd always ring first
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.