Carnival of the Grotesques

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 27/04/2020 - 13:30
All great and very unusual

Okay, pic 3, does anyone else see some weird alien form embryo
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Nigelk

Link Posted 28/04/2020 - 14:00
I remember your original post of this log and being impressed then with how much you got out of the log.
Lovely to see this second follow up set. Look into them and let your mind wander, excellent.
Gareth, I thought it was a Meerkat peering out from its hole but prefer the idea of an alien embryo
Last Edited by Nigelk on 28/04/2020 - 14:03

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 28/04/2020 - 15:01
Relooking at 3 I see a seal pup face at the top. Also pic 6 at the top is a flamingo
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 29/04/2020 - 11:58
Thanks Nigel Mc, Gareth and Nigel K... much appreciated... yes, one of the things I've enjoyed making this series is what other people see in them... Gareth, I too saw an alien embryo kind of a thing in 3 and framed the shot around it... but hadn't seen the flamingo in 6, or the seal... Nigel, hadn't seen the meerkat either, but have now...

Thanks and best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Sry

Link Posted 29/04/2020 - 21:32
Bill, what a beautiful set of engravings - imagination runs wild throughout, blending seemlessly with abstraction in everchanging patterns and swirls. Likenesses occur, and are part of the fun, but they do not overpower the 'beyondness' of each image. Your seeing (feeling) and conveying of that which is beyond the materially present is key to my appreciation of your photography (I daresay it is an important part of what fascinates me with photography in general) - the otherwordliness is definitely very palpable here. The set somehow makes me think of Victor Hugo's wash drawings as well, some of which are quite 'on the edge'. The delicacy of your processing is, as always, highly commendable - as is your treatment of colour (I very much like how, here and in much of your landscape work, I can read the colours as a coloured greyscale of sorts, or rather, a kind of 'shades of presence'). Admirable work, once again.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 02/05/2020 - 13:13
Hi Serge... thanks very much for this, as ever... engravings is a great way of thinking about them... nature's engravings... hadn't thought about that, but that is of course exactly what they are... and thank you for kind words re my pics more generally, partic re the "otherworldy" thing... the processing of these is something that sort of came out of the subject matter... colour, but only just... have also taken a look at Victor Hugo's wash drawings... hadn't come across them before... they're quite something... clearly a visual artist in his own right, irrespective of his literary output... very much up my street and very pleased to have come across them...

Thanks and best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.