Canonites spoilt for choice?

K10D

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 15:38
Pwynnej wrote:
K10D wrote:
[I'm actually looking for the best price on another D700 as a second Nikon body. They are that similar to Pentax in operation, I don't have any issues using both systems.

My D3 is totally different in operation to the K20D, even the way the lenses attach to the body. The D3 purchase was prompted to satisfy a need that wasn't being satisfied with the kit I had. Partly operator error I was tempted to trade all my long lenses for the DA*60-250, and get the 70-200VR1 + TC-20EII for the birds and the planes.

I am not tempted to trade my Pentax gear for Nikon at any time at all. I am not troubled by the fact the range is small - how useful is it to have an expansive range like Canon or Sony when very few features differentiate them? Not only that how many of us use all these features anyway? I feel as if I am still learning my K20D, which is not a bad thing

I agree about the lens fitting but I find that using both cameras does not cause conflict. I used both at the Whitby Goth weekend and had no issues switching between cameras.
I didn't trade anything of my Pentax kit for the Nikon kit. I was fortunate to be able to get the lenses abroad at well below UK prices.

I like your point about still learning the K20 features. I tend to use all of my camera bodies the same with minimal settings adjusted. Either I'm too lazy to use the functions or I don't need them? My LX's etc don't have all of the functionality of a DSLR but they take sterling images with the same glass.

Regards

Anvh

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 15:55
K10D wrote:
I agree about the lens fitting but I find that using both cameras does not cause conflict.

Tried out a Nikon D700 from a friend but when mounting the body cap I turn it on like I'm used to but you need to turn the other way with Nikon, lucky it was just the body cap
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 27/08/2010 - 15:56

K10D

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 16:06
Anvh wrote:
K10D wrote:
I agree about the lens fitting but I find that using both cameras does not cause conflict.

Tried out a Nikon D700 from a friend but when mounting the body cap I turn it on like I'm used to but you need to turn the other way with Nikon, lucky it was just the body cap

As long as it wasn't a "you break, you buy" situation...

Regards

johnriley

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 16:06
Yes, lots of people use two systems, and in some cases I wonder at the logic of it.

I once had a Mamiya 645 and using that alongside my Pentaxes was dreadful. The manual focusing turns the opposite way, the aperture ring turns the opposite way. It does make a difference and it hinders seamless and smooth operation.

A more sensible mix would have been Bronica and Pentax, but in the end I moved to the Pentax 645, which is what I'd wanted in the first place.

As regards 35mm/DSLR options, Nikon and Pentax are a more sensible mix than Canon and Pentax for the reasons that matter to me. Your priorities might be different to mine. But I agree that the lens mounting in reverse is a nuiscance. Not neaqrly as much so as the original Nikon lens mounting, setting to f5.6 and then rotating the aperture ring to each extreme so that the maximum aperture was indexed for the meter. Dreadful, but thankfully things have moved on.
Best regards, John

tomw

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 21:33
Pentax does need a camera above the K-7 though its just logical because the gap between the price of the K-7 (800 incl kit lens) and the 645D (7200 body only) is significantly too big and isn't attractive to new buyers or current buyers of Pentax photographic equipment.
Tom
Last Edited by tomw on 27/08/2010 - 21:34
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.