Canonites spoilt for choice?

Anvh

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 01:54
They don't need more choices, they need a broader range. It sounds silly but there is a big difference there, they could make ten different entry models and you would have more choices.
Maybe they should make a Canon 7D competitor but that would be it. And then simply every two year bring out a new camera to replace the previous one and improve with added features customers asked for.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

davex

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 06:47
Quote:
Maybe they should make a Canon 7D competitor but that would be it. And then simply every two year bring out a new camera to replace the previous one and improve with added features customers asked for

I think that would make me more happy Stefan,although would still like a FF offering.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

flossie

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 08:24
davex - you do realise in one breath you wanted a 400mm lens, and the next a FF? There's a contradiction there... do you want long or wide, otherwise you are taking two steps in opposite directions...

As for new models every year - well Pentax do seem to change their entry-level camera almost every year... but if the range goes "Kx-Kr-K7-K5" then everyone except FF-lovers will be happy, if it goes just "Kr-K5" then nobody will be happy.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Last Edited by flossie on 27/08/2010 - 08:27

davex

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 08:47
No Flossie,
Currently I want none of them. The whole point of this thread is about choice;
what I want from Pentax is to have a choice of what I can have, currently the range compared to the big 2 is just pathetic, in both camera and lenses. While the equipment available is good if not better than equivalent priced canon nikon product, the range itself is very limited, pardon the pun

Davex.

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 08:49
Time and time again I see this on other forums. A new member asks for a camera recommendation and the answer is always the same, Canon or Nikon (even if they are asking specifically about the K-x).

The reason? Pentax has no upgrade path .. you have the choice of a decent beginners camera which has fabulous noise control but no visible focus points (the thing that is ALWAYS pointed out) and the K-7 (which has worse ISO performance than the K-x and archaic AF) .. that's it. There are no fast long lenses, no full frame, no teleconverters and Tamron have more or less stopped making lenses for Pentax now.

I do think Canon (and especially Sony) have too many camera bodies in their lineup but Pentax are totally the opposite .. I would rather have have too much choice than non at all.

I used to jump in on threads and defend Pentax when I saw posters bashing the brand but I just don't bother now, I personally don't need FF but I think Pentax needs one to be taken seriously.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 27/08/2010 - 08:50

davex

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 09:07
Quote:
There are no fast long lenses, no full frame, no teleconverters and Tamron have more or less stopped making lenses for Pentax now.

Well put Mike, the curious thing though is when you look at the old days the Pentax range seems much larger, so what happened?

Davex.

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 09:20
davex wrote:

the curious thing though is when you look at the old days the Pentax range seems much larger, so what happened?

Davex.

From what I can make out Pentax were left behind at the beginning of the digital age, they sat back watching Canon and Nikon slowly take over while thinking their name would carry them through. When they finally realised what was happening it was too late. Since then they just haven't had the money to claw their way back.

Hoya have the money but I don't think they have the interest .. unless they decide to build the brand up ready for selling on.
. My Flickr

davex

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 09:33
Look here
Would probably never be able to justify the cost, but hiring it for my trip to Africa would be a possibility.
Perhaps things will improve in the future, I am definitely seeing a lot more advertising this year, compared to the last 2.

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 10:30
For my trip to Africa I took my Ds and my Tamron 28-300. Only very occasionally did I wish I'd had a longer lens, and certainly never wished I had a prime on the camera. One animal is so close you can almost touch it - the next you need full zoom for.
One reason I bought the Bigma was for if I am ever lucky enough to return to Africa. I wouldn't want to limit myself to a long prime. many of the photos I took were in fact in the 80-180 range. Only the leopards required a longer range than I had.
I saw others with big white Canons who were frustrated that they couldn't get the photo they wanted because the lens was too long.

davex

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 10:38
Quote:
many of the photos I took were in fact in the 80-180 range.

That`s interesting Gwyn, will bare it in mind.

Davex.

Pwynnej

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 10:48
K10D wrote:
[I'm actually looking for the best price on another D700 as a second Nikon body. They are that similar to Pentax in operation, I don't have any issues using both systems.

My D3 is totally different in operation to the K20D, even the way the lenses attach to the body. The D3 purchase was prompted to satisfy a need that wasn't being satisfied with the kit I had. Partly operator error I was tempted to trade all my long lenses for the DA*60-250, and get the 70-200VR1 + TC-20EII for the birds and the planes.

I am not tempted to trade my Pentax gear for Nikon at any time at all. I am not troubled by the fact the range is small - how useful is it to have an expansive range like Canon or Sony when very few features differentiate them? Not only that how many of us use all these features anyway? I feel as if I am still learning my K20D, which is not a bad thing
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. DFA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. D-FA 100. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon

Anvh

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 12:48
Mike-P wrote:
The reason? Pentax has no upgrade path .. you have the choice of a decent beginners camera which has fabulous noise control but no visible focus points (the thing that is ALWAYS pointed out) and the K-7 (which has worse ISO performance than the K-x and archaic AF) .. that's it. There are no fast long lenses, no full frame, no teleconverters and Tamron have more or less stopped making lenses for Pentax now.

Can't fully agree because there is the 645D now, If someone is willing to pay for a Nikon D3 or Canon 1D then surely they can stretch a bit more and get the 645D instead but to be honest, photographers of those calibre don't need to be said what they need to use and they are already brand committed half of the time.
I agree with the lenses though there need to be more specialize lenses and Tamron must make 180mm macro and the 200-500mm for Pentax as well

Gwyn wrote:
I saw others with big white Canons who were frustrated that they couldn't get the photo they wanted because the lens was too long.

Sorry I just need to link it again link
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 27/08/2010 - 12:52

davex

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 12:57
Quote:
Sorry I just need to link it again

Dont apologise it`s brilliant

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 14:22
Anvh wrote:
Can't fully agree because there is the 645D now, If someone is willing to pay for a Nikon D3 or Canon 1D then surely they can stretch a bit more and get the 645D instead

The people that use those sort of cameras want decent fps ... The 645D just doesn't cut it there. They also want fast long lenses for sport and stellar AF. There is no way they are ever going to swap over.
. My Flickr

Anvh

Link Posted 27/08/2010 - 15:21
Mike-P wrote:
The people that use those sort of cameras want decent fps ... The 645D just doesn't cut it there. They also want fast long lenses for sport and stellar AF. There is no way they are ever going to swap over.

Don't know, I've seen people use them in studio environment and than the 645D seems to be better for them I think but you never know why they bought them for.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.