Can you help me remember my first SLR....(possible Ricoh connection)

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 10/05/2021 - 15:35
As an avid user of Pentax gear (now proud owner of a K3 III!!) I am trying to recall the fist SLR I purchased back in the late 70's.

I was working overseas in Iran (when the Shah of Iran was around!) and had some spare cash and decided to buy an SLR. The choices were limited (1) in the local town 'camera shop / bazaar'. I am struggling to remember/confirm the brand but thought it was a 'Ricoh' .

It was black (narrows it down!) and the unique feature I remember it had a neat system of 'flipping an internal mirror/prism' to allow top viewing of the pentaprism (through similar eyepiece as traditional viewfinder opening but covered with a cover) beside the hotshoe on top of pentaprism..

I have searched various historical websites / wikis but no joy..

Any historic camera buffs able to confirm whether I started the Pentax / Ricoh journey earlier than I imagined?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/424766-help-me-...
'Life looks simple through a viewfinder'.....then I went Digital!
Keith
K3 III, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300, HD 1.4x, AF360

johnriley

Link Posted 10/05/2021 - 16:07
The company was Riken back then and in 1970 produced the Ricohflex TLS-401. It was a screw mount SLR with TTL CdS match-needle metering. Pentaprism converted from normal eye level use to reflex viewing by turning a knob on the side of the pentaprism housing. Black or chrome were both available.

Does that sound like it?
Best regards, John

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 10/05/2021 - 16:20
Yes!!!! Now that does away with the need for a 'flippy screen'! - I was a true Pentaxian after all

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143646322538?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-13442...

Want more than my old K3!!
Keith

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 10/05/2021 - 16:41
May be something for the K3 IV??

Keith

womble

Link Posted 10/05/2021 - 22:10
One of the big pluses of fora like this is access to the combined memory and brain-power of lots of like-minded folks.

Fascinating looking camera. I have a vague memory of having come across it before but I couldn't put a name to it.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Urbanmeister

Link Posted 11/05/2021 - 15:49
womble wrote:
One of the big pluses of fora like this is access to the combined memory and brain-power of lots of like-minded folks.

Fascinating looking camera. I have a vague memory of having come across it before but I couldn't put a name to it.

K.

Absolutely! And so wide-ranging as well - butterflies, aircraft, cars, to name just a few. Also very friendly and willing to share info and give advice if asked for. 👏
Be well, stay well.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.