Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Camera purchase from internet - any international manufacturer's guarantee?

mcdim
Posted 02/02/2010 - 17:12 Link
Fellow members,

Anybody has information if the camera purchased from a foreign seller over internet will be a subject for the Pentax manufacturer's guarantee in UK? Will a receipt with a date of the purchase be sufficient for this? If the same applies to Pentax lenses? Many thanks in advance.

McDim
Anvh
Posted 02/02/2010 - 17:42 Link
It isn't grey import that way and Pentax will honour guarantee under the international version of it, not the UK one.
I don't know what the difference is though
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Oggy
Posted 02/02/2010 - 18:49 Link
My understanding was that warranty was not transferable on sale of the camera and that Chris from SRS was honouring warranties of equipmnet bought off members of this forum.
Anvh
Posted 02/02/2010 - 18:53 Link
Oggy we aren't talking about second-hand here I believe, but buying things over the boarder.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Gwyn
Posted 02/02/2010 - 19:16 Link
Pentax cameras bought abroad have a 1 year standard Pentax guarantee on them. You do have to make sure you get an international guarantee with it though or you will get one for the country from which you purchased it - which may not be honoured by Pentax UK.
If you are buying the camera in the EU you should get the full 2 year guarantee provided it is a Pentax recognised dealer, not somewhere like Pixmania which deals in grey imports.
Lenses come with an international guarantee as standard.
Oggy
Posted 02/02/2010 - 19:29 Link
Anvh wrote:
Oggy we aren't talking about second-hand here I believe, but buying things over the boarder.

Maybe McDim could clarify that.
mcdim
Posted 02/02/2010 - 21:47 Link
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the comments. The ebay seller seems to be Canadian (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Prodigital2000__W0QQ_armrsZ1). Its products seem grey (from the fact that the USA warranty stated first), but the seller promises the receipt with a purchase date and “1 Year Limited International Warranty”. I am just curious if one doesn't contradict another. I asked this question at Pentax UK site, but they are not very fast to answer.

McDim
JonSchick
Posted 02/02/2010 - 22:44 Link
Not quite on topic, but I have read and heard good things about Prodigital 2000 - I think they have a good reputation with people who've used them: including for customer service if things don't go according to plan.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
Anvh
Posted 02/02/2010 - 23:14 Link
Don't forget shipping cost, import duties and tax, I don't think it would be much cheaper if you just buy it in your country.
KZ
Posted 03/02/2010 - 14:16 Link
Official Pentax warranty issued in Canada is only valid in the American continent (European warranty is only valid in Europe). Which means that even if it is a factory warranty you only can exploit it through Prodigital2000. (You need to send the camera to Canada on your risk and cost for warranty repair). If it is a retailer warranty, same way.
Anvh
Posted 03/02/2010 - 14:54 Link
KZ wrote:
Official Pentax warranty issued in Canada is only valid in the American continent (European warranty is only valid in Europe). Which means that even if it is a factory warranty you only can exploit it through Prodigital2000. (You need to send the camera to Canada on your risk and cost for warranty repair). If it is a retailer warranty, same way.

And what about international warranty?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
KZ
Posted 03/02/2010 - 17:08 Link
Anvh wrote:
KZ wrote:

And what about international warranty?

Quote from Pentax US website:
"International Warranty Card
New PENTAX products do not automatically come with an international warranty that covers all PENTAX products around the world. However, it is possible to obtain an International Warranty Card through PENTAX Imaging Company after you have purchased a PENTAX product. If you bought your PENTAX product in the United States and are traveling to a foreign country for an extended period of time, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are abroad. We will also send you a list of authorized service centers around the world."

Summing up: If you buy the camera in Europe, you have a European warranty. If you buy it in the American continent you get an American warranty. If you travel outside, you may apply for an International Warranty to cover the product while you are abroad. If you buy the camera with the retailer warranty, you need to send back the camera for the retailer wherever they are for warranty repair.

regards
Edited by KZ: 03/02/2010 - 17:15
Anvh
Posted 03/02/2010 - 17:18 Link
Thank you very much KZ that explains things perfectly
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
iceblinker
Posted 03/02/2010 - 18:02 Link
Some Pentax dealers of outside the UK explicitly claim that an "international worldwide warranty" is included, eg:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PENTAX-smc-DA-55-300mm-f-4-5-8-ED-f-K-x-K-7-8-YR_W0QQi...

"1 Year International Warranty (Valid at any Pentax Repair Facility)".
~Pete
Edited by iceblinker: 03/02/2010 - 18:03
iceblinker
Posted 03/02/2010 - 18:06 Link
KZ wrote:
Summing up: If you buy the camera in Europe, you have a European warranty. If you buy it in the American continent you get an American warranty. If you travel outside, you may apply for an International Warranty to cover the product while you are abroad. If you buy the camera with the retailer warranty, you need to send back the camera for the retailer wherever they are for warranty repair.

That doesn't seem to apply to the deal I mention above. Assuming they are honest, perhaps they obtain special warranties from Pentax on behalf of the customer.
~Pete

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.