camera fair at Hamworthy club, Wimbourne. bad sleeping problem.

AuraTodd

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 03:12
I have been looking forward to this event all week and I dont know if anyone else is going. Apparently Pentax are going to be there plus many other things. But the experience is being ruined by my persistent insomniz. Its now 3.03am in fhe morning its raining and I have been wide awake since 10pm last nivht when I decided to get an early night. I shouldn't have bothwred going to bed, have been tossing and turning all night and I should say morning long.

This is probably not the right section of this forum to write this subject but I am tearing my hair out in frustration because my stupid insomnia is wrecking everything. I dont bother with fhe dr any more because all fhey keep doing is recommending sleeping pills which dont help at all.

My friend was on those and they caused her to fall to her death out of a window of a high rise block of flats because she was too tired at fhe wrong time to stop her self. I am still going to this event no matt how tired I am.

I get this problem when I stay in hotels and it's a real problem that why I could never hold down a proper job because I am terrible at getting up in the morning.

Dunno if Nyone else has thiz problem. I am giving it till 5am, have to get up at 6.30. No joy by then then I'll give up and then it will be like I have never went to bed etc.

I have dark circlez under my eyes but what can I do when your body just wont switch off?
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

johnriley

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 08:37
Obviously not photographic, but something that many of us photographers might experience from time to time. When it's time to get up, no doubt you'll be in a deep, deep sleep.

My solution when this happens is I get up, make a coffee (yes, with caffeine!)and sit for a while at the PC on the Internet or at Photoshop. That's always relaxing and after an hour or so it's back to bed and to sleep.

You could also try a walk, perhaps an hour of night shooting locally. It'll catch the interest of any passing Police cars as well no doubt!
Best regards, John

michaelblue

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 13:52
For me, reading a photography magazine always works, I try to stay awake to read something interesting but never get past the first page

I hope you enjoy the camera fair anyway, I'm sure you'll come back tired out and have a good night's sleep
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

snappychappy

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 17:10
You should read up on methods of self relaxation techniques, it is usually the mind that is racing with thoughts that keeps me awake.
My piccies.

snappychappy

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 17:11
THIS may help.
My piccies.

AuraTodd

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 19:41
Thanks for the link snappy. It's a pain tossing and turning, also I have tendinitus in my arm which was hurting. Funnily enough at 2.30 this morning I heard faint music from down the road, this is going to sound wierd but there used to be an old dance hall (now a solicitors) in the thirties. My grandparents went there and it is supposed to be haunted. It doesn't do anyone any harm, it's just sounds of the past.

I went to the fair and it was brilliant, the first stand I sniffed out was Pentax and they were really good. They showed me some of the settings on my K30, which I never knew about. Including a circular thingy which I can use to make sure my horizons are not wonky anymore. Does anyone know this feature? Also I can crop the image, but for some reason when I do this, the image keeps rotating on it's side.

The Manfrotto stand was irresistible, I was like a kiddie in a toy shop. having never been to a camera fair before, I wanted EVERYTHING! Even the monopod is better then the old banger I've got. It's a 679b monopod, I would have to get (not a ball head) but a MHXPCU-3W which apparently is about 114.95 and that just for the head only. It's one of the square ones that you can pan with. Does anyone know the sort I mean?

I think the MT 190xpro3 tripod is 184.99, there is a carbon one but that's a bit expensive at 344.95 as the latter is a bit heavier. I like the Manfrotto tripods as you can actually see the spirit levels, as this is one thing I can't on my Hama one.

I'm Impressed with the Manfrotto bags which are:

IV MB MA SB4 which is 39.99. The other one, (shoulder bag 6) is 50 which is a bit much for a bag. Will look online to see how much they is on Amazon.

The talk by Damien Demolder was very good. He does street photography, anyone heard of him?

Going to attempt the photography show in Birmingham next year.
Always be kind to people

link

link

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 20:03
Glad to hear the day went well and you enjoyed yourself!

Personally I find radio four and then the world service gets me to sleep, especially when it's intrusive thoughts or ruminations keeping me up. And if you don't sleep at least it'll be educational.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Gravelrash

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 20:34
Weird the stuff you pick up over time but when you mentioned your insomnia I remember being told that forcing yourself to keep your eyes open in bed does the trick. Counter intuitive but did work for me.

Bottle of red is not pc but better than prescription drugs.

Soft classical music.

Reading a book. (Cannot be on a screen because that produces the wrong hormone release)

I used to work shifts so I know how upsetting it can be, especially when your watching the clock and the passing of missed sleep.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

AuraTodd

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 20:54
Yes I like Classic FM which s relaxing, until I fall asleep listening to a horn and I dream I'm being chased by savage dogs.
Always be kind to people

link

link

Stuey

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 22:49
Hi Louise

Damien Demolder used to be the Amateur Photographer editor and also seems to be a Pentax user probably as well as other systems

He listed his favourite or most used lens (or similar - I can't remember the exact feature) once as a pentax ltd 70 or 77 I think - but could be wrong.

Regards

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

AuraTodd

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 09:36
Wow I never knew that, he's a really nice man. I must have done something well if he said my picture was good. I have one of my calling cards as I said I would send him a copy of the web site I am working on. Do you think this is a good idea? I have also managed to turn the links into hyperlinks.

Always be kind to people

link

link

Stuey

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 13:40
I can't help with web sites as I am truly clueless in that regard

However, if Damien Demolder is willing to correspond with you and offer advice I would grasp that opportunity with both hands

Part of my decision to buy a K10 was based on his review of the K10 in AP prior to him becoming editor I'm not stalking him, honest
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

AuraTodd

Link Posted 21/05/2014 - 15:23
Okay I'll email him first
Always be kind to people

link

link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.