Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Buy K-R from Pentax Pro dealer or get 5yrs warranty?

t7er
Posted 18/09/2011 - 11:04 Link
I've got a dilemma and would like some opinions, please. I'm buying a K-R body only either from SRS Microsystems (Pentax Pro dealer) or from UK Digital (who offer 5 years warranty on the K-R). SRS's price is £9 more expensive though they might price match. UK digital is also local to me. What do SRS or Pro dealers do differently to other dealers?

Also, do you get free shipping from SRS if you're a normal user or do you have to have a "Plus Membership" where you pay?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
fritzthedog
Posted 18/09/2011 - 11:10 Link
The main difference usually with a pro dealer is they give you an extra 1 year warranty. You do not have to be a plus member to get free delivery from SRS,

I have bought from both of these companies and received excellent service - so for me - the 5 year warranty would be the difference

I have a Panasomic Lumix bought from UK Digital that came with a 5 year waranty - the reason I bought it from them.
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
wvbarnes
Posted 18/09/2011 - 12:24 Link
SRS did charge me carriage in May for my KR BUT did also take collect and delivery part exchanges for a fixed price unseen. Brilliant service and very pleasant to deal with. I got a superior MKII 18 - 55 quick focus metal mount lens in my deal, much nicer than the standard kit lens.

Not had any digital gear for longer than 3 years given the pace of things so extended warranties not tested.
paulgee20
Posted 18/09/2011 - 14:03 Link
5 years would be the clincher for me. It all really depends as Bill says how long do you intend to keep the camera. If the warranty is transferrable then it may add to the resale value.
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index https://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20
Hyram
Posted 18/09/2011 - 15:49 Link
Having bought almost everything from SRS, I would want to study the terms of the 5 year warranty very carefully.
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
CMW
Posted 18/09/2011 - 19:50 Link
In the UK, the Sale of Goods Act in many ways offers as much or more protection than a retailer or manufacturer's warranty. It is the retailer's responsibility to remedy any fault occurring within a reasonable period -- the definition of reasonable depends upon the nature of the goods but can extend to five years. I wouldn't eg hesitate to ask for a repair from the retailer should my K5 develop a fault in, say, its second or third year. Of course you have to have some faith/expectation that your retailer will still be in business, and also be sure that they are subject to English law (Amazon.co.uk, eg, despite the 'uk' in its web address, is not -- which doesn't make pursuing a claim impossible, just more difficult). This is why the selling of warranty extensions can be a bit of a scam. So, a five-year warranty is really more or less the expression of a legal requirement -- even so, nice(and rare) to have it placed up front.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.