Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Browsing at the NEC

johnriley
Posted 08/03/2010 - 22:30 Link
We were there today, having a general browse and a more specific look at a few things.

I got to handle a Pentax i10, even in white which is what I fancy buying. It says "Designed by Pentax" on the back. I liked the 16:9 screen and the imitation leather panelling. It was flatter than I expected, but that's a good thing as it is still pocketable. There was lots of Pentax stuff on sale at Jacobs and Camera World.

Light and Land produce some excellent books, full of inspiring images. Liked those a lot. Worth a look on Amazon I think!

The thrust of the exhibition seemed to be the ancillary items such as backgrounds, lighting, courses, books, albums and so on. The actual cameras had a relatively small amount of space, maybe because we all have cameras already and there are plenty of places where they can vie for attention. This was quite a practical exhibition.

I still have the feeling though that there are less people there, showing less than in previous years. Times are hard?
Best regards, John
Photomonk
Posted 08/03/2010 - 23:58 Link
John,

I attend shows like this in the US, and I noticed at least for last year's shows less people exhibiting products and even a slightly lower attendance at the shows. There are only so many camera vendors, and the rest has to be the ancillary products.

I definitely believe it is the economy and companies being more careful what funds they have to spend.

The Photomonk
hefty1
Posted 09/03/2010 - 10:27 Link
There were certainly plenty of people there on Sunday - you couldn't actually get down some of the aisles due to the crush at times.

Still, I got my developing kit from Patterson, my chemicals from Fotospeed and my scanner from Camera World - a successful trip and saved enough money on it all to pay for the petrol/parking/entry.

Patterson are having to send their stuff on as they weren't carrying any stock, just taking orders. When it gets here next week I shall be developing my own film for the very first time - can't wait!

Oh, and I didn't buy a Sigma DP2 but I did fondle the display one and I'm even more tempted now...
Joining the Q
Unlocker
Posted 09/03/2010 - 20:26 Link
Unfortunately it was so damn packed on the Sunday that we didn't get to see hardly anything that we wanted to.

Everywhere we went it was just so packed that it ended up becoming such an unenjoyable experience that we went home!

Over 1hr 15mins to get inside after arriving at the NEC wasn't a good start, and it felt like it went downhill from there.

Just wish I had the opportunity to go during the week and I think I would have loved it.
Kenty
Posted 09/03/2010 - 20:44 Link
I was there too today - and I found a couple of things I didn't know I wanted!!!

One was a Lowepro Camera bag and the other was a ball and socket head for my tripod! Also got a Lowepro goodie bag with quite a few neat items in it.

Plenty of people there today but not too crowded and only took about 10 mins to get in. Took my camera for the first time and got some shots of the models at 3 different stands. Very enjoyable.

All in all a good day out for me.

Cheers....John
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.