British GT at Oulton Park, Easter Monday

droopsnoot

Link Posted 09/04/2018 - 19:16
A few shots from the racing at Oulton Park the other day, hopefully showing the atrocious weather which led to the meeting being cancelled around 4pm.

webIMGP9990 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP0220 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP0108 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP0032 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

webIMGP0131 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

The first one is Billy Monger, who some might know was in a horrific crash not very long ago, came back to finish third.

There's a lack of clarity compared to some of the photos that I've seen other people posting from this same event. I'm not sure whether that's my fault, or that a Kx isn't really up to the job when combined with my cheapo Sigma 18-200 lens. I took my manual Pentax f1.7 50mm lens to try out, but didn't end up using it as I didn't want to risk getting no shots at all.

As always any comments or criticism welcome, along with suggestions for improvement.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 09/04/2018 - 21:10
Stick with the bad weather! It does look very poor.

stub

Link Posted 09/04/2018 - 22:54
Wouldn't be the same up north !! If it wasn't raining.. But great to see some motorsport shots.. Well done..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

DSP121

Link Posted 10/04/2018 - 05:15
I like the second shot!
Good job.
ShotOn Signature Stamp for Oppo

razashaikh

Link Posted 10/04/2018 - 06:13
Bad weather ruined it. The second one is the best from the set.
Moment Stamper: Date Stamp Photo

droopsnoot

Link Posted 10/04/2018 - 10:07
Thanks all. It was a poor day, but it's still frustrating that they're not as clear as some of the shots I've seen from others.

I should also add in that I'm using the JPG images from the camera rather than the RAW, as I've never quite got to grips with the only bit of software I've got that will work with raw images. I might have another go with that and see if it really does make any difference.

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

carmagw

Link Posted 10/04/2018 - 14:06
Thanks for sharing, it was grim weather wise. I was watching the live stream.

For what its worth, my thoughts :

When I've shot in the rain I often have top keep wiping front element / filter as rain gets on is (misty spray can be worse than the odd drop).

I try not to use filters where possible as these can affect image quality but understand need for them. Car headlights can reflect of the filter, which looks to be the case in picture 5 with the green blobs above right hand side of the blue car. (although that could be raindrops on front element)

2 & 3 look reasonably sharp and could be lightened in pp. In 4 the plane of focus looks sharper on the back of the car than the front, which can happen when panning.

Not sure what shutter speed, ISO or F sop you were using but all could have an effect, I've not used this lens but could imagine it may have struggled in the conditions compared to say a 70-200 2.8 or similar.

Raw should give you a bit more range for processing. (Although I'll often shoot jpeg due to the volume of shots)

Well done for getting out there, I was sat at home lol ! I should be at Oulton for the BTCC later this year if you're about drop me a pm as it would be good to meet.

Regards

George
Last Edited by carmagw on 10/04/2018 - 14:09

droopsnoot

Link Posted 10/04/2018 - 20:17
Thanks for that. I did have a play with one of the images in Raw Therapee, but it hasn't made a massive difference, if anything I think the JPG version looked a bit better, but that might be because I'm more used to working with those.

I did have a filter on, and thought about removing it only afterwards. I was pretty careful to keep the lens pointing down when not in use - I was surprised to see more than one person toting what looked like much more expensive gear than mine and aiming the lens up in the air when not in use.

I had a display pass for my classic on the day, and I tend to think of that as a two-way thing, if they've been good enough to give it me then I will turn up unless there's a really good reason. My mate also had one, he was there in his MGA, which currently doesn't have a hood. I'll let you know about the BTCC, I'd like to get there and hopefully at the Gold Cup, too.

DOIK

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 08:03
Mike, If you own a PC go to faststone.org and download the free image viewer, if you don't want to install it down load the portable version which will run without being installed. When ready open the first image in the programme and move the curser to the left and a menu will appear click on Auto Adjust Colour a small tweek in Curves and it is a different image.

John
My Photobucket

droopsnoot

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 11:14
Thanks, I will have a play with that.

reso

Link Posted 11/04/2018 - 22:41
Another vote for faststone its a great free image download vey easy to use and give,s great results
k5iis tamron 10-24 tamron 17-50 2.8 sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg macro pentax f 35-80 pentax f 35-135 tamron 70-200 sp 2.8 sigma 120-400 apo dg hsm
kenko pz af 1.5 dg converter and a flash
Last Edited by reso on 11/04/2018 - 22:42

Puggy

Link Posted 14/04/2018 - 10:13
Hi there

I'd echo what George has to say regarding keeping the lens clean

Pentax AF isn't the best so in those conditions pre focusing is even more important. I think with the swirling rain you couldn't do much to avoid the shots looking hazy but some work in PP might help.

My Top tip for rain is a Black & White edit hides a multitude of sins! Also maybe look for spots where you can use the rain and spray to your advantage

Here's a couple from BTTC at Oulton last year in pretty heavy rain

Another thing I'd suggest as you had a lens with a wide end on is to try a few shots zoomed out. Here is one from Druids (not in the rain but the technique should work) and is great with dramatic skies

I'll be camping at Oulton Park for the BTCC so if you do make it lets have a Lesser spotted Pentax meet up

Hope that helps

Pete A
My Photos link
Me link

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 15/04/2018 - 09:16
Like the later mono images in the rain
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px

droopsnoot

Link Posted 15/04/2018 - 19:23
Yes, some interesting thoughts there. Given how close I am I haven't been to Oulton all that often, but am there again in a few weeks for the VSCC meeting and will have another go.

droopsnoot

Link Posted 17/04/2018 - 13:59
I've had a bit of another attempt on some images from this meeting, having seen some much better quality ones elsewhere and listened to some suggestions. I've also read up on high-ISO noise reduction and it turns out that the RT "sharpen" feature is pretty much the opposite of what I need.

I think these versions look a bit better, though I also think they're probably about as good as they're going to get. It does give me some things to think about for next time though.

proc_a_IMGP0019. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_a_IMGP0029. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_a_IMGP0050. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_a_IMGP0108. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_a_IMGP0137. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_a_IMGP0220.-1 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.