Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 12:43
Gedski wrote:
I'm having difficulty posting as the site keeps showing the busy icon and the not responding message. It has taken me almost ten minutes to type this. What is wrong?

It's been happening to me as well sometimes, on my Windows laptop with Microsoft Edge browser.

I find closing the browser completely and starting again usually fixes it.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidstorm

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 13:21
Would suggest using Chrome as your Browser, there are no issues with that as far as I'm aware.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 13:26
I can't keep up .... I'm still to get those Hitech filters yet!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Perspicador

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 16:15
Hi Everyone
On the strength of this thread I have taken the plunge and gone for a DA 55-300mm, which arrived today (thanks especially, John Riley)... If the interest continues,
I hope people can keep the ball rolling on here. This is also to be used with a K-50, so postings may follow. This image is one I regard as a success. See what comes up.
This was with a k-r and Sigma 200mm.
Quote:
... the best lack all conviction, while the worst
are full of passionate intensity.
W.B Yeats

PeterKR

Link Posted 02/09/2016 - 19:34
Congratulations, Rodney, and good luck with the 55-300. I too got one on the advice of john Riley - it was the first new lens I got for my K-r in 2011 and I got it especially for bird shots.
As Andrew has said shooting BIF is a very difficult task and you may need to take very many shots to get just one good one. On my day at the Hawk Conservancy (with the K-r and DA55-300 I took over 900 !
One thing I did find that sometimes you may need to set the camera onto the 'Sport/Action' mode to take multiple exposures with fast shutter speeds (hence my 900 shots !)
I also found it easier if the birds were flying TOWARDS me, then you don't need to pan the camera as much. However, you can't trust what wild birds are going to do so you just have to persevere !
I can see that you are doing just that so good luck.
One thing I found with the DA55-300 is that the 'hunting' of focus (for which it is notorious) is worst for long distance shots when the contrast is low. When the birds are nearer and the contrast it better you should find the AF locks on much quicker ?
All the best
Peter
Last Edited by PeterKR on 02/09/2016 - 19:35

Gedski

Link Posted 03/09/2016 - 11:59
Good morning to you all. It seems that my PentaxUser site is back to normal. I've gone through all of the posts about the lenses and such for BIF and have come to these very general conclusions.

There will usually be problems in using the Pentax 55-300 and Tamron 70-300mm lenses with hunting, usually at around 300mm and sometimes with the purple fringing. However, these can be worked around and I've had a little success in this. I hope that I'm correct in assuming that the way forward is to invest in one of the more expensive lenses, I'm thinking in terms of the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 S PAF Di LD (macro) at around 475. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the present though. I'll continue with the Tamron 70-300mm lens, hopefully in good light. One final thing. I'm finding that I'm rather tired all of the time now so getting out for photography is a problem for me. If I am missing for some time it will only be for that reason, I'm not being bad mannered.

My grateful thanks go to all of you who have enabled me to obtain the required insight into the BIF problems that I've encountered. Muchly thankings.

Perspicador

Link Posted 04/09/2016 - 19:59
Gedski,can I take this opportunity of wishing you every success and God-speed with your Open heart surgery? Also, I am very indebted to this thread as stated before. Also thanks to Peter for these words of encouragement

PeterKR wrote:
Congratulations, Rodney, and good luck with the 55-300. I too got one on the advice of john Riley - it was the first new lens I got for my K-r in 2011 and I got it especially for bird shots.
As Andrew has said shooting BIF is a very difficult task and you may need to take very many shots to get just one good one. On my day at the Hawk Conservancy (with the K-r and DA55-300 I took over 900 !
One thing I did find that sometimes you may need to set the camera onto the 'Sport/Action' mode to take multiple exposures with fast shutter speeds (hence my 900 shots !)
I also found it easier if the birds were flying TOWARDS me, then you don't need to pan the camera as much. However, you can't trust what wild birds are going to do so you just have to persevere !
One thing I found with the DA55-300 is that the 'hunting' of focus (for which it is notorious) is worst for long distance shots when the contrast is low. When the birds are nearer and the contrast it better you should find the AF locks on much quicker ?
All the best
Peter

The follow-up to this is my first venture out - K-50 plus Pentax 55-300mm - but no BIFs yet - which must include the Butterfly that regaled Gedski's entries!!! The real test will be upon returning to Mill Lakes, but for now, I am contented with my purchase...

Quote:
W.B Yeats

Gedski

Link Posted 04/09/2016 - 20:05
Perspicador wrote:
Gedski,can I take this opportunity of wishing you every success and God-speed with your Open heart surgery? Also, I am very indebted to this thread as stated before. Also thanks to Peter for these words of encouragement

PeterKR wrote:
All the best
Peter

The follow-up to this is my first venture out - K-50 plus Pentax 55-300mm - but no BIFs yet - which must include the Butterfly that regaled Gedski's entries!!! The real test will be upon returning to Mill Lakes, but for now, I am contented with my purchase...

Thank you for your comments and kind thoughts Perspicador. I see that you've made a decent start with the 55-300mm lens. I will follow your efforts with much interest.

Perspicador

Link Posted 04/09/2016 - 20:19
Gedski wrote:
Perspicador wrote:

Quote:
All the best
Peter

Thank you for your comments and kind thoughts Perspicador. I see that you've made a decent start with the 55-300mm lens. I will follow your efforts with much interest.

Many thanks, Gedski. If you need a well-earned rest, maybe now's the time to take it. I hope to emulate the thorough standards of deliberation and discussion you have set thus far! It is certainly a nut to crack to be able to make the difficult challenges posed by tackling birds in flight more accessible through 'budget' equipment and that is a frontier I too shall try to break through...
Quote:
W.B Yeats

Perspicador

Link Posted 06/09/2016 - 22:38
Had a day hunting down possible entries for World Pentax Day - with this lens, literraly! - and the nearest to flying I saw was this Magpie taking up tree-top positions,
but there was a passing helicopter, but I am really looking forward to getting back to my Mill Lakes routine.

Pentax Day celebrations are not so specific, so these floral shots suffice and a Bumblebee...

Quote:
W.B Yeats

Gedski

Link Posted 07/09/2016 - 13:26
Hi perspicador, You seem to be coming along nicely. I find that with magpies the problem is to get the eye in full focus but it can be done. At least you managed to get movement with the helicopters rotor blades, otherwise it would look like it is parked in the sky.

The bee on flower is pretty good as are the flowers. Keep it up.

Perspicador

Link Posted 08/09/2016 - 16:34
Gedski wrote:
Hi perspicador, You seem to be coming along nicely. I find that with magpies the problem is to get the eye in full focus but it can be done. At least you managed to get movement with the helicopters rotor blades, otherwise it would look like it is parked in the sky.

The bee on flower is pretty good as are the flowers. Keep it up.

Thank you. Gedski! Time has elapsed and I managed Mill Lakes today. Flying ducks mostly, and did not engage a burst function, but here are a few efforts...

I do not think I am getting clarity because there is much haste before they have flown away so quality is very patchy and your analysis would be most welcome
Quote:
W.B Yeats

Gedski

Link Posted 08/09/2016 - 18:43
Perspicador, I'm no-one to really give advice to but this is what I do, if I think about it beforehand.

1. Set camera to auto, take shot and make a note of the settings.
2. Do the same using the 'P' mode and then the moving subjects mode.

See how the shots turn out and if possible use the best of the three settings. I mainly use the aperture priority now, altering it depending on how bright the weather is.

I also aim for the birds eye. If you can get this in focus then the rest of the picture should be OK. I offer no guarantees though.

I might be away for about a fortnight now as my operation has been brought forward to Tuesday which means I need to attend hospital on Monday next. See you all then, I hope.

Perspicador

Link Posted 08/09/2016 - 23:14
Many thanks for proffering advice. The subject matter really does give you no time to project the scenario, so I am simply relying on sheer speed of the auto settings before the subject has gone - and I either got a shot or I didn't. Very precarious.

Good luck with the op and procedures. We will all be gunning for you and you will be in the safe hands of highly skilled practitioners. See you soon back on these pages - but more importantly, back out catching those elusive birds!

Perspicador
Quote:
W.B Yeats

Gedski

Link Posted 09/09/2016 - 10:41
Perspicador, Thank you for your thoughts. If I can get out before next Monday I'll try to post a couple of BIF shots with the settings used but I can't promise. See you all soon.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.