Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.

Perspicador

Link Posted 12/08/2016 - 22:53
Hi Gedski
Your feature on here is especially interesting as it is something I too am wrestling with. I started with a k-r and have moved to the k-50, but my lens of preference has been the Sigma DG 70-300mm for both cameras, with mixed, but sometimes satisfying results.

This is a cropped down take on Geese in flight, from my regular visits to Mill Lakes, a country park near me. Sometimes focussing responses are too cumbersome and the shot is missed through undue delay, but generally the speed of response is good and I found that with the use of bursts, a really good shot can result. this is my best so far:

Quote:
... the best lack all conviction, while the worst
are full of passionate intensity.
W.B Yeats

Last Edited by Perspicador on 12/08/2016 - 22:54

Gedski

Link Posted 13/08/2016 - 11:58
Hello Perspicador, thanks for your comments. I've looked through your gallery and the best shot I saw, by far is the gull against a clear blue sky that you posted on 20/12/15 at 21:21. I would suggest using the settings for this shot every time the weather conditions are similar, for BIF.

The shot of the geese in this post does not appear to be in focus and the gull has something not quite right about it. I'm no-one to criticise anyone's photo's but it seems that we both might have similar problems.

I think that my best advice is for you to go back a bit in my thread and try experimenting with the settings given by the various kind people who have tried to assist me.

Gedski

Link Posted 16/08/2016 - 17:49

Directed to a wildlife large woods and ponds the other day. Turns out the ponds are about a mile and a half walk away. That's too far for me at present so we stayed were we were. My first shot reminds me of an enchanted forest.

Gedski

Link Posted 16/08/2016 - 17:50

Now, at least I spot a bird, unfortunately not in flight. Ah! Well.

Gedski

Link Posted 16/08/2016 - 17:54

Finally, another non flying bird. We didn't see one in the three hours we spent there. Then we found out that you really need to get to the ponds but not until October/November. Still. it was a lovely day and a very pleasant morning out in the fresh air.

I think that the K-50 is beginning to come to hand a bit more now but I really need to practise the BIF shots. I'm getting bored just doing seagulls all the time.

Gedski

Link Posted 17/08/2016 - 10:38

A late addition. This moon shot was taken last evening, hand held. Not bad, for me that is.

dcweather

Link Posted 17/08/2016 - 15:40
Gedski wrote:
Thanks John, I think my photography allowance might now be overdrawn.

I'm slowly beginning to get the hang of BIF with my K-50. I've uploaded another in the wildlife category. This time I've used very minimal Elements 13 to, hopefully, improve the shot. As always all views appreciated.

I started out with the Tamron. I then had the DAL 55-300mm which was streets ahead in IQ although was tricky but no worse for BIF.
Of course you can get this second hand for under 100 so worth looking out for. In fact I might put my mint one on classified soon as I use the DA*300 now.

AggieDad

Link Posted 17/08/2016 - 15:43
I started a similar discussion on the U.S. PentaxForums as the "hunting" of my 55-300mm drives me nuts when extended and working BIF. You might look here for some thoughts.
Don
Visit us at link

Gedski

Link Posted 17/08/2016 - 16:56
dcweather and AggieDad, your observations are duly noted. It seems that the Pentax 55-300DAL has some mixed receptions. I'll certainly look for the Sigma 18-300mm and the Pentax 60-250, I think that was it. However, it will be at least a couple of months before I can think of any more 'stuff' for my K-50.

carolpalmer

Link Posted 19/08/2016 - 10:29
Tamron digital lenses wins EISA award for the 11th consecutive year. No wonder
Last Edited by carolpalmer on 19/08/2016 - 10:43

dcweather

Link Posted 20/08/2016 - 00:08
Gedski wrote:
dcweather and AggieDad, your observations are duly noted. It seems that the Pentax 55-300DAL has some mixed receptions. I'll certainly look for the Sigma 18-300mm and the Pentax 60-250, I think that was it. However, it will be at least a couple of months before I can think of any more 'stuff' for my K-50.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In terms of IQ and sharpness at 300mm (which you will need) the 55-300 will leave the Sigma 18-300mm standing. Personally I would sell the Tamron and buy the DAL 55-300 which is going to cost you 40-50 net ! You can see for yourself then for a very small outlay, because you won't match the IQ and sharpness of the 55-300mm for under about 500-600 in my opinion at that focal length.
Dave

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/08/2016 - 07:09
For the sort of budget that is on the table here (that's assuming that Gedski is still looking to 'upgrade' .... Not sure if that's actually the case now?) ... then there's some compromise with every choice. Could the Pentax 55-300 really be described as 'streets ahead' of the cheap Tamron? The comparisons I've read wouldn't suggest so, not in terms of sharpness at least, where the Tamron holds up at the long end more like a pro-grade lens. However, other aspects go against it of course, the fringing and rather unwieldy feel being the main ones I think.

You have to work with the Tamron in choosing the light at favourable angles, which rules out plenty of BIF shots due to the backlighting. That forest one Gedski is another example of rampant PF ... you've got some purple ferns there!. The moon on the other hand looks good.

Have a look at my latest shots with the Tamron AF70-300, which are examples of the sort of lighting and style of photography that I think plays to the strengths of the lens ....https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/first-three-from-studland-heath-56899
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/08/2016 - 07:14

johnriley

Link Posted 20/08/2016 - 08:57
Quote:
Could the Pentax 55-300 really be described as 'streets ahead' of the cheap Tamron?

Streets ahead is a vague phrase, but the Pentax lens is definitely better. It's not just slightly better. I have used them side by side and the difference is quite marked.
Best regards, John

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/08/2016 - 09:17
That's fair, and I agree with Dave that the small outlay to get a used Pentax is undoubtedly good value. But nothing at this price point gives you everything you might want in a telezoom.... We have to look to the strengths and weaknesses to make it work photographically. Neither Tamron nor the Pentax appear to be considered a good choice for BIF. It that's the budget though then with work and favourable conditions I guess they can do the job.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 20/08/2016 - 09:17

johnriley

Link Posted 20/08/2016 - 09:33
Quote:
It that's the budget though then with work and favourable conditions I guess they can do the job.

That's also a fair point. We can't all afford 1500 or more on a lens. In terms of value for money and the budget available there are lenses that can do the job. They may not be as easy to use, but they can deliver. Light is one major problem, as with restricted apertures it can be difficult to keep the shutter speed up to a fast enough speed. Then we are into high ISO territory and the noise it brings with it.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.