Birds in flight shots using K-50 and Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens.


Gedski

Link Posted 03/08/2016 - 15:43
As promised, here are three of my first efforts with the K-50. They have been cropped and the minimal amount of editing has been applied, mainly because I'm not into the advanced editing stuff.

It seems that two of the shots are not properly in focus but this particular bird seems to have been in a battle at some time. I've seen him quite close up in our garden and it seems like he has cataracts in his eyes. At least that's my excuse.

Also, they were taken through the double glazed window in our living room and I was messing about trying various settings. As always, all your views are appreciated. Please be gentle.

Walt, thanks for taking the time and trouble to re arrange your shots for me. On the way over there now.

Chrism8

Link Posted 03/08/2016 - 16:23
Hi Gedski

I wonder if the camera has focused on the glass on these examples as none are really sharp, the second image is better thsn the other two, it's also possible you may have some front or back focussing issues which should be able to be sorted, and worth googling.

Have you tried shooting clear, not through double glazing ?
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Gedski

Link Posted 03/08/2016 - 17:01
Chrism8 wrote:
Hi Gedski

I wonder if the camera has focused on the glass on these examples as none are really sharp, the second image is better thsn the other two, it's also possible you may have some front or back focussing issues which should be able to be sorted, and worth googling.

Have you tried shooting clear, not through double glazing ?

Chrism8, I only got my K-50 back this morning. These were taken just to see how they would turn out. I was not too well when I took these, wretched medical problems not behaving. I'm hoping to get out to the local park tomorrow or Friday and I'm feeling hopeful of getting some half decent shots. I'll check out the front/back focusing although I've no idea how to find it or what to do if I find it. Faint heart and all that.

Gedski

Link Posted 03/08/2016 - 18:03

Gedski

Link Posted 03/08/2016 - 18:11



At last I seem to be getting somewhere. I've just taken a dozen shots on the back field. Of those six were rubbish and four were 'iffy'. The two above are the best. I've cropped the first by 86% and the second by 42%, I think. They have both been minimally edited with Elements13. I only do minimal because it suits me and also, I don't really know how to use Elements properly.

Judge away. Chrism8. In the 'custom' menu I found item #21, AF Fine Adjustment', I've put this onto option 2.
Last Edited by Gedski on 03/08/2016 - 18:12

Chrism8

Link Posted 04/08/2016 - 06:53
Morning Gedski,

These are much better, particularly the second one, well done
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Gedski

Link Posted 04/08/2016 - 09:41
Chrism8 wrote:
Morning Gedski,

These are much better, particularly the second one, well done

Thanks Chrism8, wretched weather most of the day today. I'm hoping tomorrow is going to be a lot better so that I can get out a bit.

Gedski

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 13:58



The eye of the pigeon!

I got out with the K-50 this morning. Took 64 shots, of which eight were half decent. This is the first of them. I do have some BIF shots but I'm still allowed only one per day until I open my wallet, something I'm not known for, and pay for full membership.

I think I've worked out how to get the focus more or less right. On pressing the shutter button halfway down the lens will hunt fully forward and then back again. By keeping the button halfway down, the camera will the go to where you want it to focus, At least I think that's right.

Chrism8

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 14:10
Afternoon Gedski,

What were your settings on the Pigeon, it looks to be a fairly small DOF hence the feathers under the eye look quite sharp, but the eye and upper head feathers look as though the sharpness is fading, or your focus point was a fraction off.

Have you tried " back button " focussing, this is where you keep a finger or normally your thumb on the AF button on the back of the camera which ensures it continuously focusses while doing so and just use the trigger for firing the shutter, once you've got used to it, it does work well.

You can upload more to the forum pages and whilst we are trying to get your BIF shots up to speed, suggest you do so, its only the gallery that without putting your hand in your pocket is only one per day.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Last Edited by Chrism8 on 05/08/2016 - 14:11

Gedski

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 15:33
Chrism8 wrote:
Afternoon Gedski,

What were your settings on the Pigeon, it looks to be a fairly small DOF hence the feathers under the eye look quite sharp, but the eye and upper head feathers look as though the sharpness is fading, or your focus point was a fraction off.

Have you tried " back button " focussing, this is where you keep a finger or normally your thumb on the AF button on the back of the camera which ensures it continuously focusses while doing so and just use the trigger for firing the shutter, once you've got used to it, it does work well.

You can upload more to the forum pages and whilst we are trying to get your BIF shots up to speed, suggest you do so, its only the gallery that without putting your hand in your pocket is only one per day.

As requested Chrism8, pigeon 'stuff'. ISO 180, 1/640th, f8, 180mm.

I've not tried the back button focusing as I've been concentrating on getting some half decent shots but I will over this weekend.
Last Edited by Gedski on 05/08/2016 - 15:47

Gedski

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 15:35

Below should show another three of my shots from this morning, all for you to show me where I 've gone wrong. Or, to tell me that they are masterpieces!

Gedski

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 15:36

Gedski

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 15:39



I think that I got the text bit a little out of place, sorry. Not to worry. You should all be astounded by my shots. Saying that they are superb, indicated by the line, 'I've never seen anything like it in my life'. You can't say fairer than that!

Chrism8

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 15:55
Hi Gedski,

The first and third image look good, marginally sharper than the second image, I appreciate these are also smallish jpegs you've had to upload so I'm respectful of the image size.

Re the second image, the chain and post looks sharper than the birds, so wonder if you've focused on that, the exposure looks a little over exposed, the birds white plumage is burnt out.

You do seem to be getting there thou, great stuff 😀
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Gedski

Link Posted 05/08/2016 - 17:26
Chrism8 wrote:
Hi Gedski,

The first and third image look good, marginally sharper than the second image, I appreciate these are also smallish jpegs you've had to upload so I'm respectful of the image size.

Re the second image, the chain and post looks sharper than the birds, so wonder if you've focused on that, the exposure looks a little over exposed, the birds white plumage is burnt out.

You do seem to be getting there thou, great stuff 😀

Chrism8, Comments about plumage duly noted and I'll try to remember next time. I agree completely about the lock and chain but I was close.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.