Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Bigma for £520, anyone used this supplier?

Unlocker
Posted 04/01/2008 - 21:45 Link
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products...

Done quite a bit of research on the seller, and from what I can tell, all seems decent and above board.

Comes from Hong Kong with International warranty, with a no VAT or duty guarantee (they have a good record of repaying it if charged).

Question is, has anybody here used them, and if so what do you think?
awaldram
Posted 18/01/2008 - 18:01 Link
Unlocker wrote:
http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products...

Done quite a bit of research on the seller, and from what I can tell, all seems decent and above board.

Comes from Hong Kong with International warranty, with a no VAT or duty guarantee (they have a good record of repaying it if charged).

Question is, has anybody here used them, and if so what do you think?

Just bear in mind sigma UK will not repair this under the international warranty if duty is not paid.

Your gamble
Unlocker
Posted 18/01/2008 - 18:09 Link
Why not?

Whats the point of an international warranty if they won't warranty it internationally?

The only difference I can find here at all is that UK models have 3 year warranties, this one, 1 year. If I was visiting the UK for 2-3 months and it went faulty, surely this is where the international warranty kicks in?? They do all come out of the same factory after all.

The only thing this says to me is, 'if you are a UK user, we want you to pay more, if you don't, we will screw you'.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but that is aimed at Sigma, not you awaldram (unless of course you work for Sigma!)
Gwyn
Posted 18/01/2008 - 19:07 Link
How will SIgma know if you paid duty on it or not? They will know it is imported, from the serial number if nothing else, but who tells them that you didn't pay duty on it when you imported it?

Sigma are no worse than many other companies with regard to international warranties, and are seemingly better than some. Canon won't service under warranty any "grey" imports, which gives Pixmania purchasers amongst others a potential problem. They also won't service under warranty anything you bought in another country and legally imported!
vic cross
Posted 22/01/2008 - 20:42 Link
I don't know about the retailer but if by BIGMA you mean the 50/500 I can whole heartedly recommend it. IT'S A CRACKER I love mine. CHEERS Vic
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
chirpy
Posted 22/01/2008 - 23:04 Link
I can confirm what awaldram says. Sigma will require proof of duty paid to warranty the lens under the international warranty. If you don't have it, you will have to pay for repairs if you go directly to them rather than through the dealer.
Unlocker
Posted 23/01/2008 - 02:34 Link
chirpy wrote:
I can confirm what awaldram says. Sigma will require proof of duty paid to warranty the lens under the international warranty. If you don't have it, you will have to pay for repairs if you go directly to them rather than through the dealer.

I still find this VERY hard to stomach, as i said above :-

The only thing this says to me is, 'if you are a UK user, we want you to pay more, if you don't, we will screw you'.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.