Beware, this post contains milky water

Lubbyman

Link Posted 21/03/2019 - 09:34
Do you have any shots of the same scene with the water looking like H2O rather than milk? It would be interesting to compare. I'm not a fan of milky water but sometimes it seems to be the better option, sometimes it doesn't. Can't tell without seeing both, though.

FWIW, I rather like your mono pictures in which the 'milk' gives the impression of mist rising over the water.

Steve

Helpful

derek897

Link Posted 22/03/2019 - 06:06
Lubbyman wrote:
Do you have any shots of the same scene with the water looking like H2O rather than milk? It would be interesting to compare. I'm not a fan of milky water but sometimes it seems to be the better option, sometimes it doesn't. Can't tell without seeing both, though.

FWIW, I rather like your mono pictures in which the 'milk' gives the impression of mist rising over the water.

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm almost certain I did take one shot while set up for the first shot in this post, I'm away till tomorrow though, will post it as soon as I can.
I know what i like, If not always why.

derek897

Link Posted 22/03/2019 - 22:56
Lubbyman wrote:

Steve

Thanks Steve, this is a shot of the water as water, same position as it was on the tripod anyway.
i haven't really spent any time editing other than minor adjustments, but, this is how it looks normally.

I know what i like, If not always why.

MrB

Link Posted 23/03/2019 - 00:16
A wonderful scene. Thank you, Derek.

Philip

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 23/03/2019 - 15:46
Thanks Derek.

Very interesting to see the H2O version. The milk pulls my eyes upwards towards the trees and into the picture (I guess it's acting as a leading line). With the H2O, however, my eyes are pulled towards the detail in the pool at the bottom and not into the picture. In this case, the milk wins for me, it's doing something useful for the composition of the picture. Other people may see it differently, of course.

But I still can't get excited by a pier rising from a sea of milk.....

Steve

Helpful

Sry

Link Posted 23/03/2019 - 18:16
The B+W's make a nice set, milky water and all... and thanks for the warning, it got me laughing!

Helpful
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.