Best way to get photos from camera to PC?

Garnett

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 09:10
Hi there, just after ideas really.

I used to use a sandisk card reader and settings on my windows PC that automatically downloaded the photos via Windows then wiped the card.

This was pretty straight forward as I have a PC always on in the living room, so I could just walk in, stick the card in the reader, leave it and then stick it back in the camera whenever I next thought about it.

I've managed to lose the cable in a move, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or improvements.

Is there a Pentax bespoke program that does a better job of downloading the photos (taking across more data perhaps - I can't remember if Windows takes the data on image rotation for example).

Is there a faster reader?

Thanks for any help.
~Pentax K-5, DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR, DA 35mm f/2.4 AL, DA 55-300mm f4.0-5.8 ED, FA 50mm f/1.4, M 50mm f/1.8 - flickr

wvbarnes

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 09:16
Hi,

Yes Windows keeps rotation info and yes all your data is there if you simply drag the files to your desired folder. Good idea to copy the folder as a back up before you do anything in your editor of choice.

The USB leads are common to other makes of camera although a lot of devices use the round camera plug common to many phones, Kindles etc now.

MrB

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 09:20
Not an answer but a just an extra thought about procedure - I would never wipe the camera card until I have transferred the image files to a PC and also made a backup of them on a separate hard drive.

Cheers.
Philip

johnriley

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 09:42
Yes, I copy the images and don't delete anything until copy and backup copy are secure.

A card reader is still the way to go, and at the miniscule cost of these why not just buy a new one? Or a new cable if that's what's needed?
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 11:19
I've never done anything other than a simple copy and paste (ctrl+C ctrl+V), from the card into a new folder of my choosing created for the pictures. Hate letting programs automatically do it for me.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Algernon

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 12:15
USB 3.0 readers are the way to go. Put a USB 3.0 PCI-e card
in your PC if you've only got USB 2.0

This USB 3 Reader is one of the fastest you can buy (8 )
even for USB 2

Ebay_Link

90 Read + 60 Write

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 03/11/2014 - 12:20

McGregNi

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 16:54
Pentaxophile wrote:
I've never done anything other than a simple copy and paste (ctrl+C ctrl+V), from the card into a new folder of my choosing created for the pictures. Hate letting programs automatically do it for me.

The only issue there really is with a lack of verification. For a small number of jpegs it may be ok if you can quickly see the thumbnails, but for RAW it's a bit risky as there's no way to verify that the files all transferred correctly.

A data management programme or image importer can verify the file integrity as well as offer enhanced control over duplicate file names (such as telling you if a file is a binary identical, or bigger or newer to one already in the folder, and offer automated renaming schemes.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 03/11/2014 - 17:00

Algernon

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 17:32
Teracopy free will verify copies and it's quick.

http://codesector.com/teracopy

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Stanovich

Link Posted 03/11/2014 - 17:47
I use the following routine, normally with a USB card adapter (rather than connecting the camera to the computer - I usually charge the camera battery at the same time):

I have an 'incoming' folder for RAW images that I import the images to (just drag & drop in Windows, from the card folder in My Computer). I have a RAW codec installed so I can see (fairly) quickly what has transferred.

Edit RAW files as required, then batch-convert to jpegs and save them in a subfolder of the incoming folder - then do any further editing I want on the jpegs before moving them to date/theme based folders.

Transfer the RAW files to an individual folder and archive them.

Finally back up both jpeg and raw files to an external hard disk (the jpegs also go on to a further disk), and only then delete the files from the card.
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.