Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Best place to buy the K5?

simonkit
Posted 17/11/2010 - 14:57 Link
I've had a browse around the web and the best deal so far seems to be Equipment Express who are offering "body only" for £1049.99 but with a 3yr warranty - normally I'd buy from SRS but the additional years warranty is definitely appealing.

Anyone seen any better offers?

thanks

Simon
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 17/11/2010 - 15:07 Link
I'd save the 99p and get it from SRS. A good retailer deserves supporting. Also, if I'm not mistaken if something's going to go wrong with a camera chances are that it will happen well before the third year.

BTW bear in mind that the cashback means you get the 18-55WR lens for nothing (at SRS prices) if you go for kit over body only.
Mhuni

500px
Mike-P
Posted 17/11/2010 - 15:36 Link
The warranty from Equipment Express is their own and has nothing to do with Pentax. Secondly, the cashback T&C state that the offer is only availabe through an official Pentax dealer that is listed on their site .. I don't see Equipment express on there. (even if they do have the cashback advertised on their site)

Personally I wouldn't take the chance as these companies will always try to wriggle out of a cashback deal if they can.
simonkit
Posted 17/11/2010 - 18:54 Link
Best cameras have a similar deal...neither on the Pentax supplier list though, I've emailed them to query this out of interest??

Simon
spirit_of_will
Posted 18/11/2010 - 10:43 Link
Simon, I'd really consider using SRS and striking up a useful relationship with them. Their after sales support truly is as good as everyone on here says it is. They've looked after kit of mine that's broken down even when 2-3 months outside of the usual guarantee period. But then I have been a customer going back as far as my original MZ-5...

That kind of support is difficult to put a value on but so, so worthwhile in the long run.
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Edited by spirit_of_will: 18/11/2010 - 10:44
Pwynnej
Posted 18/11/2010 - 13:05 Link
I'd second what Mike P says - I'd stick with a 2-year warranty given by a Pentax pro dealer; if something went wrong in the third year I wouldn't be confident about the warranty being honoured, to many exclusion clauses, wear and tear etc.

Have you tried Cambrian in Colwyn Bay? Not trying to take anything away from SRS but we do need to support our local pro dealers.
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
Algernon
Posted 18/11/2010 - 13:19 Link
simonkit wrote:
Best cameras have a similar deal...neither on the Pentax supplier list though, I've emailed them to query this out of interest??

Simon

Bestcameras are on the list, but under the name of the retail
shop so it's OK plus you get a 3 year guarantee and some
goodies free. Kamera Photographic Ltd
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
spirit_of_will
Posted 18/11/2010 - 13:30 Link
Pwynnej wrote:
Have you tried Cambrian in Colwyn Bay? Not trying to take anything away from SRS but we do need to support our local pro dealers.

That's a pretty valid point too, SRS are my local shop. But anywhere that you can strike up a relationship with the staff really helps in my opinion - that way if there are any issues to deal with you are a real person not a faceless 'net customer. Being able to drop in and handle kit before buying is again something that is worth paying a couple of extra ££'s for.
Spirit_of_will

Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit

WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com

Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
simonkit
Posted 18/11/2010 - 14:39 Link
Pwynnej wrote:

I've tried them in the past but found that Pentax stock was scarce, perhaps things have changed so I'll give them a call

Simon
simonkit
Posted 18/11/2010 - 19:35 Link
simonkit wrote:
Pwynnej wrote:

I've tried them in the past but found that Pentax stock was scarce, perhaps things have changed so I'll give them a call

Simon

Just phoned Cambrian they're happy to match SRS so I may well be collecting a K5 this weekend !!

rwarren4
Posted 20/11/2010 - 15:57 Link
Although admittedly offers like this

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/5577/Pentax-K-5-Digital-SLR-Camera---18-55mm---...

make me think that waiting a few months for the bloom to come off the rose might well see some good deals in the spring.
-------
I'm a poet - I describe stuff!

K100D, SMC PENTAX DA 18-55mm & 50-200mm, SIGMA 75-300
SP1000, TAKUMAR 3.5/28, 2/55, 3.5/135, 3.5/200

http://raspberry_rabbit.blogspot.com
Mike-P
Posted 20/11/2010 - 16:07 Link
rwarren4 wrote:

make me think that waiting a few months for the bloom to come off the rose might well see some good deals in the spring.

If you wait until the spring then yes, you may get it cheaper but that is more than made up for with the cashback and January rise in VAT.

If you say the cashback is approc 10% of the value and then add the 2.5% rise in VAT do you think the K-5 is going to drop 12.5% in price within the next few months?

Plus you will not have had the enjoyment of the new camera in that time.
simonkit
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:01 Link
I must admit having been out yesterday with the K20D it's reminded me of just how good a camera it is, for landscape photos at least...the FPS/noise factors don't really figure.

I'm still keen on the K5 but the urgency of my new purchase has disappeared and I'll be waiting until the price drops quite a bit more, I must admit Mike I think a 12.5% drop is more than realistic in a few months time once initial sales fall away

Simon
Mike-P
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:17 Link
Indeed, if you are doing landscapes 99% of the time then I cannot see any value in a speedy upgrade .. infact if that were me then I would probably still be using the K10D.

I waited a good 7/8 months for the K-7 to drop by a significant amount so you may just get one for when the sunshine returns
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 20/11/2010 - 17:42 Link
The price will presumably also reflect demand, and given the splash that K5 has made (about as big a splash as a Pentax DSLR could possibly make) then I think Mike could well be right.

The K7 didn't fall in price anything like earlier cameras - either short or long term.

The current price of a K7 is £700 at SRS - and that is a month or so after the release of its highly desirable successor.

I bought my K20D for £490 (with a further £100 cashback as I bought it with a lens) in December 2008 - a full seven months before the K7 was released. And yet the release price of the K20D, if I recall correctly, wasn't far off the K7/5 at around £1,000.
Mhuni

500px

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.