Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Best monitor for photo processing?

golfdiesel
Posted 15/02/2009 - 15:12 Link
amoringello wrote:
Quote:
I refuse to believe that a monitor looks any different when connected to a Mac instead of a PC.

Well, all I can guess at is that although Windows "can" handle profiling of two monitors, with the right added driver/control panel (must search for, and add manually from Microsoft website), it just simply cannot handle the job adequately nor consistently.

I suppose on a single monitor PC, it is possible that the same monitor would not show any significant difference. But if you use two monitors, color consistency might be a consideration worth noting.

Regardless, the eye One calibration/profiling shows the Mac display to have a larger gamut and more linear color representation than my other LCD monitors... which is what I was trying to get across. Sorry for pulling things off track.

The Apple displays are of superb quality (and you have to pay good money for them...).
I would really like to have a 24" Apple Cinema Display but they are just expensive...
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Tyr
Posted 15/02/2009 - 18:03 Link
Apple cinema displays use cheaper backlights than Dell and the colour fidelity is nowhere near as good.
shim
Posted 15/02/2009 - 18:32 Link
Tyr wrote:
Apple cinema displays use cheaper backlights than Dell and the colour fidelity is nowhere near as good.

.... and they use crappy video codecs such as Quicktime that always insist on phoning home first before they will play a video very poorly on a PC

shim
terje-l
Posted 15/02/2009 - 21:14 Link
golfdiesel wrote:
well if you have your monitor profiled on a MAC and you use it un-profiled on a PC then you will certainly see a difference.
On the MAC you will probably get a factory profile for the monitor you use.

If I connect my monitor to my laptop it looks very different indeed and my PC and laptop are both Windows XP Pro machines. The difference is that on my PC I use a Eye1 to profile it.

To be honest I have never used any profiling on my PC/Samsung monitor, and the images turn out just nicely. Just a standard Nvidia GeForce graphic card with the latest driver from Nvidia, that's it.

Of course it would look different on a stationary PC compared to a laptop: Different graphic cards and different drivers.

I have used dual monitors on PC quite a lot. With a dual-head graphic card and two identical monitors, there is no difference between the two pictures.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
isdky
Posted 16/02/2009 - 17:24 Link
Tyr wrote:

Source of information? - All new high end Apple and Dell displays are LED backlit producing uniform brightness and accurate colour rendition.

Although, anyone looking at a Dell display may want to checkout the Dell Display Panel Lottery - as Dell use various brands of screen in their displays, so even if you buy one the same as your next door neighbour - chances are you could have a better or worse panel inside! So at least with Apple displays you know what your getting for your money...
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." Terry Pratchett

Flickr Photostream
Tyr
Posted 16/02/2009 - 20:35 Link
isdky wrote:
Tyr wrote:

Source of information? - All new high end Apple and Dell displays are LED backlit producing uniform brightness and accurate colour rendition.

Although, anyone looking at a Dell display may want to checkout the Dell Display Panel Lottery - as Dell use various brands of screen in their displays, so even if you buy one the same as your next door neighbour - chances are you could have a better or worse panel inside! So at least with Apple displays you know what your getting for your money...

Unfortunately the 2408 is not included in that lottery as they have the lower end 24x which has that spot. The 2408 is clearly marketed and has a Samsung panel and an unknown backlight. The Apple is absolutely stunning though!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.