Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Best Film for Pentax SFXn

corey98
Posted 09/04/2020 - 14:49 Link
Hi there,
I recently posted regarding my acquirement of a Pentax SFXN camera in which I required some advice. All of the advice I received was spot on and have found out that the camera is working fine after buying a new battery for it. I am now buying film and could use some help as I have no previous experience of doing this. I am going to buy off Amazon but am wondering what the best brand (Kodak etc.) and best product is to suit my needs. I am not too bothered about slight colour variations as long as the quality is sufficient. As long as it’s not black and white Im happy with just a proven quality product. Thanks a lot.
ilovesaabs
Posted 09/04/2020 - 15:11 - Helpful Comment Link
I'd say Fuji Superia 100 or 200 for prints and Fuji Provia 100F for slides.

For ultimate quality there is Fuji Velvia 50 or 100 slide film but it's about £15 per roll now.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 10/04/2020 - 11:30 - Helpful Comment Link
In colour film there isn't much left on the market that will give you poor results if used properly, so it just depends on how much you want to spend and what level of lighting you'll be shooting in.

For general use outdoors you'd probably want an ISO 200 or 400 film, that means Kodak Gold 200 or Ultramax (400) or Fuji C200, Superia 200 or Superia 400. As a general rule Kodak gives a warmer colour cast and Fuji a cooler one.

Amazon is often not the best place to go for film these days as their prices seem quite high and they tend to sell in packs of five or more. Analogue Wonderland have a good selection and are enthusiastic about film, I think it's good to support companies like that. I believe they have a code to get free delivery on your first order, have a look on their website. Some smaller online retailers of photographic gear also sell film though at the moment they may not be trading.

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Edited by Jonathan-Mac: 10/04/2020 - 11:31
corey98
Posted 10/04/2020 - 12:18 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
In colour film there isn't much left on the market that will give you poor results if used properly, so it just depends on how much you want to spend and what level of lighting you'll be shooting in.

For general use outdoors you'd probably want an ISO 200 or 400 film, that means Kodak Gold 200 or Ultramax (400) or Fuji C200, Superia 200 or Superia 400. As a general rule Kodak gives a warmer colour cast and Fuji a cooler one.

Amazon is often not the best place to go for film these days as their prices seem quite high and they tend to sell in packs of five or more. Analogue Wonderland have a good selection and are enthusiastic about film, I think it's good to support companies like that. I believe they have a code to get free delivery on your first order, have a look on their website. Some smaller online retailers of photographic gear also sell film though at the moment they may not be trading.

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/

Yes I try to avoid Amazon at all costs but as it is my first time buying I wanted to simplify things for myself. I have purchased Fuji Superio 100 from Analogue Wonderland. Thanks for your help.
corey98
Posted 10/04/2020 - 12:19 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
I'd say Fuji Superia 100 or 200 for prints and Fuji Provia 100F for slides.

For ultimate quality there is Fuji Velvia 50 or 100 slide film but it's about £15 per roll now.

I bought Fuji Superia 100. Following your advice and some good reviews it seems to a be a wise move. Thanks for your help.
davidwozhere
Posted 11/04/2020 - 01:49 Link
Hope you enjoy it. That's a lovely camera to use.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 11/04/2020 - 08:19 Link
Superia 100 has been out of production for some years. I assume what you've bought is what's referred to as "industrial" 100, which comes in a white box with green writing. I have some myself but haven't used much of it yet and haven't scanned any at all. The price has gone up a lot in the last year or so but if you want ISO 100 colour film then the choices are few (but more than they were a couple of years ago).
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.