'Best' AF Pentax DSLR?

pschlute

Link Posted 31/10/2020 - 00:51
davidwozhere wrote:
This isn't exactly about tracking but I'd welcome other peoples' wisdom. I got fed up with all those AF points long ago because if you focused on something you could guarantee the damn machine would pick the "correct" point by itself and ruin the shot. Consequently, I only use the center point for AF. Am I doing something wrong somewhere? I simply have no idea why they cram more and more AF points into every new camera because (to me) they are absolutely useless. I look forward to being set right.

I agree. First thing I do with a new camera is to change the AF points to centre 9. I dont want any more than that. I look at which points the camera uses when it achieves lock and if 9 is not giving me what I want I change it to single point.

However, where the more AF points will be an advantage is for moving subjects/tracking.
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 31/10/2020 - 08:20
davidwozhere wrote:
This isn't exactly about tracking but I'd welcome other peoples' wisdom. I got fed up with all those AF points long ago because if you focused on something you could guarantee the damn machine would pick the "correct" point by itself and ruin the shot. Consequently, I only use the center point for AF. Am I doing something wrong somewhere? I simply have no idea why they cram more and more AF points into every new camera because (to me) they are absolutely useless. I look forward to being set right.

I couldnít agree less, you use the AF selection to suit the subject. For landscape I will use a small area to select foreground, middle and horizon for focus stacking; for portraits I use the selective single point to target the eyes and often wish there were more nearer the edge of the frame to save recomposing. I donít do much tracking but then I use a small select area to make sure the subject is kept in the focus field, and as I am using longer lenses the distance limiter on them helps in that regard.
Last Edited by RobL on 31/10/2020 - 08:22

johnriley

Link Posted 31/10/2020 - 09:49
You are right. How could any camera know where you want to focus? Only you know that.
Best regards, John

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/10/2020 - 10:19
RobL wrote:
you use the AF selection to suit the subject. For landscape I will use a small area to select foreground, middle and horizon for focus stacking; for portraits I use the selective single point to target the eyes and often wish there were more nearer the edge of the frame to save recomposing.

Agree 100%. Put the focus point on what you want to be in focus, the camera can't read your mind (yet...). If the focus point isn't quite where you want it, a quick tweak using quick shift sorts it out. Centre point and recompose can be OK, but putting the focus point where you want it removes a source of error. I use multiple focus points when tracking, that's the only time I let the camera take control of what to focus on. I wish I didn't need to, but my hands aren't steady enough and my responses aren't quick enough to do without it .

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.