Backup Programs for Photos

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/09/2012 - 17:16
I am looking for any thoughts or advice, regarding the use of system backup programs for photos.

It seems that all the popular backup programs, eg acronis, O & O etc, all use compression techniques for their backup data. This makes sense in general, because the space needed on external drives is reduced. For full system backups this is a good idea it seems.

But I was concerned about allowing this compression to occur with my photos, both original DNGs and TIFFs & JPEGs also. In the back of my mind was the worry, if I lost my laptop or the drive failed, I'd have to restore from the backup, and would the de-compressed photo files have suffered in any way after being restored?

In the end, I have created entirely separate full copies of my photo folders, both on DL DVDs and USB drives, with no compression, just full copies, as I felt worried about this. Is this a good idea, or is it OK to just let the backup software do its thing and expect the photos will be just the same when restored?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

simonkit

Link Posted 30/09/2012 - 17:24
I use an external hard-drive and a handy little free program by Microsoft, Synctoy

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

I also periodically burn them to DVD.

I personally prefer a nice simple backup process, the more complicated it is the more likely it is to go wrong IMHO

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 30/09/2012 - 17:24

endure

Link Posted 30/09/2012 - 19:34
You might want to try Cobian Backup. It can be set up to compress or not. It's like a big versatile version of Synctoy and is free.

http://www.cobiansoft.com/index.htm

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/09/2012 - 21:05
I use external drives and use Scooter Software's BeyondCompare to sync.
In fact I use BeyondCompare for all directory sync, version control and diff operations. Even use it on Mac (with PlayOnMac)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Father Ted

Link Posted 30/09/2012 - 21:57
This has been on my mind lately.
I have recently gotten a spare hard drive, so I fitted into an external caddy and copied all of my photos onto that. That gives me two copies of what I had at that time.
Prblem I have now is that I've added to one of the drives.
Do any of these softwares compare and only backup the changes, or would they try to back up the entrire drive?
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

MattMatic

Link Posted 30/09/2012 - 23:13
BeyondCompare
Lets you do what you want. Have used it for merging changes on three drives before!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Aero

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 02:37
I'm a big fan of the ClickFree backup system. In fact, I have three of 'em. Two have an integral hard disk and the third, the ClickFree Transformer, attaches their excellent backup software to any hard disk.

As the name suggests, it backs up your computer files incrementally with minimal effort. Data files, including photos, are saved uncompressed so you access them with your normal editing software. You can specify which types of file you want to back up - photos only, if you choose.

I generally buy mine from the QVC shopping channel, where they crop up from time to time, but they're also available from Amazon, eBay and presumably many other places. (I see from Amazon that the price of the Transformer has shot up -- mine cost about 30).

Al

ChrisR

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 08:25
Aero wrote:
I'm a big fan of the ClickFree backup system. In fact, I have three of 'em. Two have an integral hard disk and the third, the ClickFree Transformer, attaches their excellent backup software to any hard disk.

As the name suggests, it backs up your computer files incrementally with minimal effort. Data files, including photos, are saved uncompressed so you access them with your normal editing software. You can specify which types of file you want to back up - photos only, if you choose.

I generally buy mine from the QVC shopping channel, where they crop up from time to time, but they're also available from Amazon, eBay and presumably many other places. (I see from Amazon that the price of the Transformer has shot up -- mine cost about 30).

Al

I also use Clickfree, obtained from same seller. Ideal for a person like myself who is not computer savvy.

One problem that I have found though, is that if you reload photo files from the Clickfree back into your computer, as I had to do when I accidentally deleted all of my photo files when trying to upload to a photo website, Photoshop in which the files were held, now, no longer recognizes the files.

My Photoshop is only (elements 4), so this may be the problem, not necessarily the Clickfree.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Mannesty

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 12:01
I use FreeFileSynch. It works for me.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

thegreenman

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 13:46
There is a huge difference between the algorithm that compresses pictures and compression used for backup.

The backup program requires no knowledge of the file type it is trying to compress. It will simply try to reduce the file size as much as possible with the intention of later uncompressing it to re-create the file exactly as it was before. The algorithm use dwill always give you back exactly what you started with.

It is probably the case that the compression software will be unable to shrink oompressed image files anyway, in the same way that it is unlikely you will be unable co compress a zip file any further

Helpful

greynolds999

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 14:30
If you are using a PC you really don't need any fancy software if you know how to use Robocopy.

It has a huge advantage that you can stop it at any time without causing damage. The disadvantage is that you have to know how the command line switches work!

Open a command prompt and type robocopy /? (It's much easier than it looks.)
My Photobucket

Algernon

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 17:39
XXCopy is better than Robocopy

http://www.xxcopy.com/

XXCOPY C: D: /CLONE

Copies or updates all of drive C: to D:
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

OldTaffy

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 18:26
My only contribution is a negative one: I bought a WD "Passport" USB external drive about a month ago. It installed easily, and works well, but the Western Digital software that it is pre-loaded with was truly awful. I eventually deleted WD DriveUtilities and WD Smartware, which were intended to automatically backup each file as it was saved, but worked so slowly that the computer ran like iced treacle.
As a straight external drive, the WD "Passport" is fine, and I'll try one or two of the backup utilities mentioned here. Thanks.

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 18:55
I back up onto TWO mirrored internal SATAII/III drives, which I then disconnect and store in a safe place.

very simple just use explorer to copy the stuff over. I always have two mirrored drives live on the machine too.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

woodworm

Link Posted 01/10/2012 - 21:51
Algernon wrote:
XXCopy is better than Robocopy

http://www.xxcopy.com/

XXCOPY C: D: /CLONE

Copies or updates all of drive C: to D:

Robocopy for me. I understand what it's doing and why and I use it at my job as well as to backup my own personal files. I'm happy for you to explain why xxcopy is better though
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.