B/W images that have some color highlighted in them

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 15:33
I recently have looked at quite a few B/W images in the forum and on the Internet. I have notice some have some color highlighted in them. My question is how is this done. Can someone explain. In as simple terms as possible please. Would Like to have a go at this as it looks interesting technique.

Mannesty

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 15:48
In simple terms, you use 2 copies of the same image on different layers. You make the top copy B&W, then you use whatever the tool is called in your favourite editing software to gradually make more parts of the top image transparent, revealing the coloured part from the image below.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Don

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 19:29
another way to skin that cat is to convert your image to b&w in PS and then use the history brush to bring back the color to specific areas
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

LiamD

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 20:20
Hi,

I've only really had one serious attempt at this...

I used GIMP, and desaturated all colours except red. (GIMP's satuation tool gives you red, magenta, blue, cyan, green and yellow, of which you can change all hues accordingly.. I don't know how PS does this) I then checked for any stray red that I didn't want.. there were a few leaves on the ground for instance.. then selected the areas seperately and desaturated where needed.

Once I'd figured out what I wanted from the image it took only a few minutes.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas

petekd

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 20:43
Liam what a fantastic image very sharp and clear

Dare I ask what camera/lens was used and if any post editing re: sharpness was applied

Pete

fatspider

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 21:00
I tried this some time ago, I used the method suggested by Mannesty, I created a second layer, desaturated the first layer then erased all but the poppy on the second layer.

And before you all applaud the image....the composition was a fluke, we were visiting the allied war cemetary on Crete, and I noticed the cross on a memorial, I was about to press the shutter when my wife intervened, she had found another cross and was about to suggest I take them together, she was in the process of placing it as I was composing the first shot, introducing the shadow just as I pressed the shutter.

My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

LiamD

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 21:03
Hi Pete,

ist DL, with 18-55 kit lens. I took it almost a year ago now, so I can't remember what I did to it exactly, but almost certainly no more than my usual sharpening..

Unsharp Mask

Radius 5.0
Amount 0.4
Threshold 0

There is a term for this type of sharpening, something to do with contrast?? Matt did tell me exactly what it was, but I can't remember the ins and outs precisely.. it just works for me.

Off out for a beer..

Cheers

Liam
Liam

LiamD

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 21:05
Oh Spider.. who needs skill with luck like that..

nice shot.

Cheers

Liam
Liam

petekd

Link Posted 09/04/2007 - 21:37
Liam

Its that sharp I thought you took it with a Canon Ds MarkII 17mp

Pete

Great Shot Mate

fatspider

Link Posted 10/04/2007 - 10:36
Quote:
Oh Spider.. who needs skill with luck like that..

I Know, but I also have to confess that I initially had a go at the wife for ruining my shot even more embarrasing because it turned out to be the best of the bunch and the only one I kept

I did make it up to her by buying her a nice lunch (with her money )

Now totally of topic;
the allied cemetary on Crete is a beautiful place, extremely well tended, well worth a visit.
Be prepared to leave there with a heavy heart though.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/WeWereSoldiers.jpg
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

MattMatic

Link Posted 10/04/2007 - 11:06
Quote:
There is a term for this type of sharpening, something to do with contrast?? Matt did tell me exactly what it was, but I can't remember the ins and outs precisely.. it just works for me.

What you show there Liam is a straight USM.

If you use a large radius - that's called LCE - Local Contrast Enhancement. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of.
(e.g. try: Amount 50%, Radius 50, Threshold 10)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

LiamD

Link Posted 10/04/2007 - 19:12
Hi Matt,

yep, that's what I was thinking of..

The above settings are almost the defaults for USM.. in GIMP at any rate, I just take the Amount down from 0.5 to 0.4 when used..

Cheers

Liam
Liam

Lilly

Link Posted 11/04/2007 - 23:14
Don wrote:
another way to skin that cat is to convert your image to b&w in PS and then use the history brush to bring back the color to specific areas

Being a mono fan and wanting to try different methods I was fascinated with Liams images, so used Don's instructions as I use PS and created this

for those you need a few more pointers this is what I did:

convert image to mono whatever way you normally do
adjust levels etc
switch back Image Mode to RGB
select History Brush Tool and rub over the area carefully you wish original color to be revealed

if I need to be corrected on this feel free to say so, just how I worked it out meself
It rather a thing to do...as long as its not over done
website
BLOG
FLICKR

Pentax: K20D; FA50mm 1.4; FA135mm 2.8; FA 17-28mm; FA 80-320mm; AF360FGZ
Sigma: 30mm F1.4EXDC; 10-20mmEXDC ..... LENSBABY 'Composer' ,

UPINSMOKE

Link Posted 12/04/2007 - 12:09
Can you do this type of thing on Photoshop Element 5 as I would like to have a go. I am using a trial version at the moment. If so can someone tell me how. I have tried several times but cannot seem to get any results. What am I doing wrong???

Tyr

Link Posted 12/04/2007 - 12:18
You can do this even on older Elements versions, not sure where the controls would be though...

My suggestion would be to select using the magic wand and then desaturate all the colours in enhance>adjust colour>hue/saturation

EDIT:
The dodge tool can be used to manually desaturate areas.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.