Autumnal Shire Hill


Northgrain

Link Posted 07/11/2016 - 15:34
Howdy All

Not posted much recently, but I've been dipping in to the forum every now and again . Good to see it's still so healthy!

Here are a few from my local woods - the regular dog walk spot. All a bit random, but nice to catch some of the amazing autumn colour. I suspect we'll only get a few more days now before the leaves plunge on mass to the ground (just like that Terry Gilliam cartoon, Monty Python fans!)

Number One



Number Two



Yet another one with some bracken



Angled light



A birch tree near my house, which I love, but have never got a decent image from (until now?)



All the best

Tim
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

McGregNi

Link Posted 07/11/2016 - 17:26
Very good Tim, I really like how close you got in to the ferns and those shots have a great depth. I think you have finally got that good shot of the tree, its really rather painterly. Perhaps I'd go for a little bit darker exposure with it.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 07/11/2016 - 17:27

Northgrain

Link Posted 07/11/2016 - 17:51
McGregNi wrote:
Very good Tim, I really like how close you got in to the ferns and those shots have a great depth. I think you have finally got that good shot of the tree, its really rather painterly. Perhaps I'd go for a little bit darker exposure with it.

Thanks Nigel . I'll definitely have a play with the exposure on the birch shot.
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 09/11/2016 - 10:44
For me, the ferns do nothing for me sorry, my eyes don't settle on anything and they look messy. Things started to get better with the directional light image (although for me it's stronger square cropped with the top area of trees and sky ditched) but then you saved the best till last BAM! The birch tree image! Love love love that! It's almost like a painted abstract image you'd see in a gallery somewhere. Really nice that one
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Northgrain

Link Posted 10/11/2016 - 06:38
cardiffgareth wrote:
For me, the ferns do nothing for me sorry, my eyes don't settle on anything and they look messy. Things started to get better with the directional light image (although for me it's stronger square cropped with the top area of trees and sky ditched) but then you saved the best till last BAM! The birch tree image! Love love love that! It's almost like a painted abstract image you'd see in a gallery somewhere. Really nice that one

Thanks Gareth, really helpful critique
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 10/11/2016 - 06:56
Yes, I like the birch tree shot. Woodland pictures are very hard to do well. It's one of those places where it's nice to be but difficult to photograph. Moorland is the same.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 10/11/2016 - 23:41
Very nice Tim... Interesting... I rather like the first two... like the lead in the ferns give you, and particularly the colour palette... yellow, browns and blues... also the unusually low angle... and how the hero foreground ferns take up almost the entire bottom half of the frame, which is quite an unusual perspective vs the (much bigger in real life, but equal weight in frame) trees behind...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Northgrain

Link Posted 11/11/2016 - 08:19
bwlchmawr wrote:
Woodland pictures are very hard to do well. It's one of those places where it's nice to be but difficult to photograph.

Second to that. You see some great woodland shots on Flickr, particularly abstracts, but only realise the skill and 'eye' involved when you give it a go.

Thanks Bill too for your comments... really appreciated !
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff
Last Edited by Northgrain on 11/11/2016 - 08:20
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.