Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

Autumn time again

Posted 12/11/2023 - 14:44 Link
Yep. tis the first frosty morning here this season, nithering in fact.

Must get out and improve on this, naturally backlit, leaf photo from last year!

Comment Image
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
Posted 12/11/2023 - 17:21 - Helpful Comment Link
Now that is so clever. Lighting, image, all of it. Excellent result. Ahem, 'nithering'? I am intrigued.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
Posted 12/11/2023 - 17:29 Link
Urbanmeister wrote:
'nithering'? I am intrigued.

Yorkshire expression.
in English, blooming cold, freezing, invigorating etc etc
Gotta K-3iii now, had a K-S2, K50 and so suffering from a relapse and so buying digital camera kit.
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Kodak, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 50 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more
Posted 12/11/2023 - 19:26 - Helpful Comment Link
Thank you. Excellent word, almost onomatopoeic. Same with the word, 'dreich'.

To quote from BBC News, 20 November 2019: 'A word that is commonly used to describe the Scottish weather has been named the "most iconic" Scots word. "Dreich" - meaning dull or gloomy - topped a poll to mark Book Week Scotland, led by the Scottish Book Trust. It beat off contenders including "glaikit", "scunnered" and "shoogle". The charity said the first recorded use of the word "dreich" was in 1420, when it originally meant "enduring" or "slow, tedious".

Personally my favourite word is 'buggert', Aberdonian for, shall we say, no longer working. As in, 'It's aye buggert.' Yep, definitely works for me.
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
Lubbyman
Posted 12/11/2023 - 19:56 - Helpful Comment Link
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:
Urbanmeister wrote:

Yorkshire expression.

Mrs L, who is from God's Own County, says she's never heard of the word. And she's taught me a few strange words over the years!

Nice picture, by the way. Well seen, well taken.

Steve
Posted 12/11/2023 - 20:02 Link
[/quote]
Mrs L, who is from God's Own County, says she's never heard of the word. And she's taught me a few strange words over the years!
Steve[/quote]

We're in East Yorkshire, not Wessies, so may be more local than all of Yorkshire.
BTW I am only a newboy here, having emigrated to Yorkshre 31 years ago and so not fully assimilated and may have language difficulties ....
Lubbyman
Posted 12/11/2023 - 21:25 - Helpful Comment Link
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:

We're in East Yorkshire, not Wessies, so may be more local than all of Yorkshire.

Ah, you may be right (or should that be 'reet'?). She's from the deep south where pit tips and blast furnaces were part of the landscape. It's apparently hard to find them in that area now, it's all shops, nature reserves and flooded housing estates.

Steve
PRYorkshire
Posted 12/11/2023 - 21:36 - Helpful Comment Link
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:
Urbanmeister wrote:

Yorkshire expression.

It were definitely nithering in Doncaster on Saturday. A word that Paul Hudson the BBC Look North weatherman takes great delight in slipping into his forecast. Also a word that my late neighbour Bob Rust used to get in on the ITV Calendar forecast.

Lovely image of the back lit leaf.
Paul

K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.
Edited by PRYorkshire: 12/11/2023 - 21:42

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.