Aperture Issue with Pentax K-30... any Suggestions?

DavidDGreen

Link Posted 23/03/2016 - 00:29
I purchased a Pentax K-30 just over 2 years ago. I noticed a problem with the contrast with many of my pictures 6 to 8 months ago. So, I changed lenses, updated firmware, changed settings, had the sensor cleaned, and often turned the camera off and then back on The problem corrected itself until 3- 4 months ago. Then the image was either dramatically underexposed or completely dark. After investigating the issue online and in discussions with others who have experienced the same problem. I have noticed that several Pentax K-30 users have had this same problem. There are many blog posts and other forums where this is shared online. It is very frustrating to see that this problem seems to be widespread and there does not seem to be anything that the customer can do other than sending the camera to a certified Pentax repair facility (Precision Camera Repair) and paying a minimum of over $200.00 for diagnostics and a possible repair. I am confident that this shouldnt happen to a camera that is barely 3 years old (or newer). I have also contacted Pentax. They are the ones that basically said that if the camera was over 2 years old and I did not have an extended warranty that they would recommend "Precision Camera". Any recommendations??

redbusa99

Link Posted 23/03/2016 - 00:43
it is a known fault with the model and as you say plenty of evidence of this. try a call to trading standards and discuss the problem with them. my son had a fault with a VW Golf which was a common one and VW dealer said he would have to pay . a phone call to trading standards and a letter sent to VW dealer with the information given by them the repair was carried out free of charge. Pentax always seem to want to bury their heads in the sand on recurring faults until backed into a corner.
odd lens or 2

Flickr

Helpful

richandfleur

Link Posted 23/03/2016 - 03:50
Basically Pentax have been rubbish with this. I have little faith in them putting anything right now. It's just disappointing that they didn't all fail at once and get corrected properly, like say Nikon have done lately.

Good luck.

Or use it in manual mode if the lens has a manual aperture ring.

Helpful

vic cross

Link Posted 23/03/2016 - 10:20
Sale of goods act! Article fit for purpose! Known faults! etc, etc. In England you are covered for 6 yes 6 years. Scotland 5 years. As redbus99 says. Get in touch with Trading Standards office. Sometimes manufacturers need a kick up the a**e to make them respond.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Helpful

JohnX

Link Posted 23/03/2016 - 15:12
vic cross wrote:
Sale of goods act! Article fit for purpose! Known faults! etc, etc. In England you are covered for 6 yes 6 years. Scotland 5 years. As redbus99 says. Get in touch with Trading Standards office. Sometimes manufacturers need a kick up the a**e to make them respond.
CHEERS Vic.

Vic. OP is in the USA!

Wonder about a Class Action?

Don't know how many people are needed, but I'm sure a 'shout out' via the various Forums, social media, etc would get a lot of attention?

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 23/03/2016 - 15:45
We do tend to hear about faults on forums, but it all depends on how common it actually is. After the first six months it's up to the user to prove the fault was there from the start, whereas in the first six months it's up to the manufacturer to prove there wasn't a fault. The six year rule is there, but it isn't as clear cut as we might like.

Citizen's Advice will have the up to date information you need as to how to proceed.

Failing that, join PU Plus and get 20% discount off servicing with JPS.
Best regards, John

Helpful

DavidDGreen

Link Posted 24/03/2016 - 02:41
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I don't want to sound totally negative... Because of my investment in lenses and other equipment, I have purchased a Pentax K-3. I do love it... I am just disappointed in Pentax because I would consider myself a decent customer and expected some help from them with the problem with the K-30. I will follow up with your advice. Thanks again for taking time to comment.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.