Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

AP at it again

RobL
Posted 09/12/2020 - 08:40 Link
According to Jon Bentley in the latest edition of AP you can now use both APS-C and FF lenses on the same camera, “the rise of mirrorless technology is vital to this of course”, and Sony’s brilliant idea of having the same mount for both! Canikon digital bodies do the same but you might need an adapter but even so a revelation apparently. Can anyone here be bothered to enlighten him that the Pentax K1 introduced this what, almost five years ago? And funnily enough it doesn’t require mirrorless technology!
johnriley
Posted 09/12/2020 - 08:58 Link
Sometimes I read things that seem really very strange but it's, I suppose, a consistent message not necessarily related only to Pentax. They do the same thing to Canon in the last issue, actually writing a long piece about the 5D series of cameras, all written in the past tense as though that line is finished and there won't be any more. Or might not be any more. It's a bit like saying that the next Pentax DSLR might be the last one ever. Well it might or might not be, but the positive way to look at it would be to celebrate the arrival of a new DSLR, not to assume that mirrorless is the way to go and that's the end of it.

I remember an interview of the late afternoon news on BBC Radio 4 some years ago. British Gas had just put up prices significantly. The boss was there to be grilled, but the first quaetion was, "Well, a price rise is justified isn't it?" I listened to the whole thing, finding it quite surreal that the interviewer was defending the position of the interviewee right from the start. It was very strange.

When did the world go quietly crazy?
Best regards, John
RobL
Posted 09/12/2020 - 09:39 Link
I have the same response when reading about the wonderful new IBIS systems in mirrorless bodies whereas previously this was dismissed as less effective than stabilised lenses, but I suppose if you have blown your budget on a new mirrorless system then you are bound to try and convince yourself it was the only way to go. I have a Leica mirrorless pocket camera but it’s “helpful” viewfinder features can be a pain: e.g. in manual focus it automatically zooms in but how do you get it to zoom out again? But back to the topic, you would expect so-called experts and the editor to have a wide and impartial knowledge of all current brands and systems but despite denying it I guess their strings are pulled by who has the biggest advertising clout. When Sony first came onto the serious camera market they announced their goal was to be the biggest in the market, they are now second to Canon and having got Canikon to suspend their DSLR developments can now compete on their own terms. I simply don’t trust Sony with their long track record of destroying opposition and then abandoning the technology - does anyone else remember the video recorder wars? I see the same thing being repeated here but the pundits cannot or don’t care.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 10/12/2020 - 06:59 Link
Some people have very twisted visions of the photographic equipment landscape. What continues to amaze me is that some of them work in the industry and get paid to voice their ignorance.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
K10D
Posted 10/12/2020 - 07:45 Link
RobL wrote:
you would expect so-called experts and the editor to have a wide and impartial knowledge of all current brands and systems

They are in the magazine business, on what grounds should they be deemed experts?

Best regards
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
RobL
Posted 10/12/2020 - 08:32 Link
K10D wrote:
RobL wrote:
you would expect so-called experts and the editor to have a wide and impartial knowledge of all current brands and systems

They are in the magazine business, on what grounds should they be deemed experts?

Best regards

You are right, but the author of the piece and editor both give the impression they are very knowledgeable about the subject of the magazine. However Jon Bentley’s bio shows him to be a tv presenter of Top Gear (that’s roughly to do with motoring) and no mention of any photographic applications at all. The problem is that readers would assume they have some authority on the magazine’s subject and are influenced as such, but I cannot imagine AP would put any disclaimer to inform their readers otherwise.
johnriley
Posted 10/12/2020 - 09:04 Link
The latest issue has a letter or two about Pentax in the letters section, with a more conciliatory reply than of late.
Best regards, John
walkeja
Posted 10/12/2020 - 13:55 Link
However Jon Bentley’s bio shows him to be a tv presenter of Top Gear (that’s roughly to do with motoring) and no mention of any photographic applications at all.

He is also on the Gadget Show where he deals with all things photographic ( and other stuff ), but proves he knows nothing about photography imho.

(Don't know why this hasn't workd. (Computers not fit for purpose.)).
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.