Anyone know where I can get some good binoculars advice?


JohnX

Link Posted 18/02/2018 - 13:16
jeallen01 wrote:

Only downside for me is that they don't have a tripod bush which - on reflection - should have been part of the requirement (as maybe captive lens covers should also have been). Nevertheless, they are very good value at around £60.

They do! The Olympus badge on the front unscrews. Once off, you'll see where to attach a bracket. I bought a bracket for a few quid off eBay.

jeallen01

Link Posted 18/02/2018 - 15:37
JohnX wrote:

They do! The Olympus badge on the front unscrews. Once off, you'll see where to attach a bracket. I bought a bracket for a few quid off eBay.

I never knew that and, you're right, there is!

What sort of bracket would I have to look for?

Cheers
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 18/02/2018 - 15:38

JohnX

Link Posted 19/02/2018 - 17:12
jeallen01 wrote:
JohnX wrote:

They do! The Olympus badge on the front unscrews. Once off, you'll see where to attach a bracket. I bought a bracket for a few quid off eBay.

I never knew that and, you're right, there is!

What sort of bracket would I have to look for?

Cheers

I bought this one> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Black-Full-Metal-Adapter-Mount-Tripod-Brack...

Should be ok for occasional use, although I'm a little unsure about the (short) length of thread that screws into the bush. That said, once the whole lot is screwed together the bins feel nicely balanced and secure despite my concern.

I also saw these> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strathspey-metal-L-tripod-bracket-for-use-with-binocu...

Appear to have a slightly longer screw thread.

Same item .99p cheaper from Hong Kong > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strong-Metal-Binocular-Stent-Adaptor-Mounts-Bracket-On...
Last Edited by JohnX on 19/02/2018 - 17:22

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/02/2018 - 17:27
Many thanks - now ordered the same thing (from HK). I think I'll fit it to a spare Arca Swiss compatible adapter so I can mount/remove the binos quickly.

Question: you say that the length of the thread which screws into the bush is shortish - so can that whole screw be removed and replaced by something with a longer thread as I may already have a suitable item?
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

JohnX

Link Posted 19/02/2018 - 18:00
jeallen01 wrote:
Many thanks - now ordered the same thing (from HK). I think I'll fit it to a spare Arca Swiss compatible adapter so I can mount/remove the binos quickly.

Question: you say that the length of the thread which screws into the bush is shortish - so can that whole screw be removed and replaced by something with a longer thread as I may already have a suitable item?

I can't see why not. I've put the bracket 'somewhere safe'. Once I find it again I'll let you know for sure.

jeallen01

Link Posted 19/02/2018 - 18:18
JohnX wrote:
jeallen01 wrote:
..Question: you say that the length of the thread which screws into the bush is shortish - so can that whole screw be removed and replaced by something with a longer thread as I may already have a suitable item?

I can't see why not. I've put the bracket 'somewhere safe'. Once I find it again I'll let you know for sure.

Thanks - "no hurry" because the bracket will take 2-3 weeks to get here
K-3 II, K-3 and K-30 (now running the Hacked K-50 f/w, so it thinks it is one of those ), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Algernon

Link Posted 19/02/2018 - 19:09
Non of them look as nice as the Pentax adapters....

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/new-pentax-sport-optics-accessories-available...
Amazon have several models by other makers from about £5

I sound like a spammer!
---
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 19/02/2018 - 19:10

RobL

Link Posted 19/02/2018 - 20:50
TBH I wouldn’t get too hung up on a tripod mount, I have used larger binoculars for as long as I can remember and never felt the need for a tripod, in fact most times it would be a hindrance. In a static position like a hide or looking at water birds there is usually some way of resting your elbows to get a bit of relief whilst viewing. However, once you are hooked there is the spotting scope...!

JohnX

Link Posted 20/02/2018 - 14:35
jeallen01 wrote:
JohnX wrote:
Quote:
..Question: you say that the length of the thread which screws into the bush is shortish - so can that whole screw be removed and replaced by something with a longer thread as I may already have a suitable item?

I can't see why not. I've put the bracket 'somewhere safe'. Once I find it again I'll let you know for sure.

Thanks - "no hurry" because the bracket will take 2-3 weeks to get here

Found it! The exposed thread is 5mm long. The screw is removable, but is machined to match the internal hole/thread on the main support, so other screws might not work too well.

JohnX

Link Posted 20/02/2018 - 14:38
Algernon wrote:
Non of them look as nice as the Pentax adapters....

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/new-pentax-sport-optics-accessories-available...
Amazon have several models by other makers from about £5

I sound like a spammer!
---

Pentax ones are nice, but the ones that screw in to the front of bins start at £30, although in fairness that's not too bad I suppose if you're going to be using the adapter regularly.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.