Any recommendations for a Wedding Photographer - Nr Aberystwyth

Charlotte

Link Posted 11/02/2012 - 20:28
Hi all,

My Son and fiancée are getting married in July and are having difficulty finding a Photographer to take photos. Those that they have contacted so far want to shoot the entire day, following them about everywhere when all they want is photos of the ceremony and some of the reception.

So I wondered if any of you who live in Wales might have some ideas that I could pass on to them.

Any thoughts gratefully received,
Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

chunky

Link Posted 11/02/2012 - 22:06
Please send me a PM with all the details.
Chunky

Stuey

Link Posted 11/02/2012 - 22:32
I'm not really set up for that kind of photography (I did cover my sisters wedding as second tog - good job the first one got ill leaving my photographs as the only version of the day) but if needed or in case of emergency I will do it for the price of fuel and maybe a large chicken and mushroom pie

Don't expect miracles though as I have no hotshoe/ external flash guns and limited lens options for this kind of thing
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Stuey

Link Posted 11/02/2012 - 23:08
I forgot to add the as long as it is on a weekend caveat
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

spinno

Link Posted 13/02/2012 - 16:07
Charlotte wrote:
Hi all,

My Son and fiancée are getting married in July and are having difficulty finding a Photographer to take photos. Those that they have contacted so far want to shoot the entire day, following them about everywhere when all they want is photos of the ceremony and some of the reception.

I'm sorry but these photographers don't deserve your(son and fiancee) business. Glad they've not been employed.
For goodness sake it is the couple who decide what pictures they want....no wonder people want the job doing on the cheap if they some would be "artist" trying to to do this to them...sorry rant over and I hope the happy couple have a great day and a greater life together
David

cabstar

Link Posted 13/02/2012 - 16:26
Far to many wedding photographers are primadonas, do any of them actually listen to their client???
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

mikew

Link Posted 13/02/2012 - 18:37
I pass this studio a lot and the photos in teh window look OK but what does that prove? her web site looks too but what does that prove. She does however exist and is local.

link
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

matt268uk

Link Posted 19/02/2012 - 03:53
This guy is fantastic,you'd be sorry not to use him or at least talk to him. hope this helps.

http://www.weddingphotographer.nu/

Frogfish

Link Posted 19/02/2012 - 04:35
spinno wrote:

I'm sorry but these photographers don't deserve your(son and fiancee) business. Glad they've not been employed.
For goodness sake it is the couple who decide what pictures they want....no wonder people want the job doing on the cheap if they some would be "artist" trying to to do this to them...sorry rant over and I hope the happy couple have a great day and a greater life together

I've no doubt there are primadonnas out there as Cabstar said, but I can't agree with either of you that these togs are doing anything wrong (primadonnas aside) in declining a reduced commission.

Because I have an A level in maths does that mean I know better than my accountant ? Or a degree in business studies mean I know the law better than my lawyer ? Most 'non-photographic' people have P&S or maybe a bridge camera experience at best, so does that mean they know better than an experienced wedding shooter how their wedding should be shot ?
It should be a collaborative exercise and if wedding togs feel that the expectations of the couple do not a) meet their business plan or b) will result in an inferior product that they would rather not have portrayed as their work, then they have every right to turn the business away (not least to say that they may well be able to book a full day's work), it is for most a business after all.

I am not referring to Charlotte's son & fiancee in any way here, just posting this to balance the books so to speak. I'm sure Charlotte is very well placed to be able to offer them her advice, and that of the board here, on how best to secure exactly what the couple want.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

chunky

Link Posted 19/02/2012 - 11:13
I cannot agree more strongly with Cabstar's observations.
We have a very busy and lucrative wedding photography business which
last year resulted in 41 wedding commissions. Some big some small.
We are on the 'preffered list' of most of the local up market wedding venues because, we are told, we offer a top quality service at a fair price. We always ask for feedback from our clients and listen to what they say.
Our most often heard comment is "....you listened to what we wanted, and didn't try and rule the day" Our second most common observation "....you were so efficient and unobtrusive."
Yes we have had complaints, in 1,613 weddings we have had two.
One where the bride some weeks after the ceremony started complaining about everybody involved. Caterers, florist, limo hire, ceilidh band everything. We soom learnt that they were trying it on asking for reductions from everyone concerned.
The second complained that out of 81 shots of the bride, her eyes were closed in three of them!
However we must be doing something right as we have no need to spend very much on advertising and we are very busy.
Last year we photographed weddings in the Channel Islands,Bedfordshire,
Kent, Hertfordshire and all over the Scottish Highlands and Islands.
Several times we have taken bookings from couples who were prepared to organise their day around dates that we were available.
We also get many bookings from the same family & friends, we have photographed three sisters and a brother on four seperate occassions.

This year we have bookings confirmed and deposits paid for weddings in St Petersburg, Hong Kong, and Kyoto in Japan.
Our golden rule?

"Listen to the client, you have two eyes, two ears and one mouth, use them in that proportion"

Our biggest bug bears?
In order of irritability (1) The brides's mother (I could write a multi volume book on how difficult they can be)
(2) The couple concerned changing the job spec after payment and not expecting to pay more. One couple wanted a fairly minimal service to start with and then with three weeks to go started asking for extras that involved twice the amount of work and 150 extra miles of travel and thought we were being unreasonable when we upped the quote. Luckily the bride's father was a business man and whole heartedly agreed with what we asked for.
We have had to endure cheques that bounced, family squabbles, one one occassion leading to fisticuffs. Brides fainting at the altar, grooms being hit in the mouth with a stone (young child picked up fallen confetti and launched it at the happy couple along with a pebble, two hours in casualty and three stitches later the reception continued)
A good wedding photographer is worth their weight in gold.
Unfortunately some wedding photographers do think they are prima donnas and that the whole day should revolve around them.
They need to re think their game.
Chunky

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 19/02/2012 - 12:50
Perhaps they are simply busy enough that they focus on the jobs that are more profitable, or fit with the studio 'ethos; they are trying to develop? I guess it's their business and they can decide what terms they operate on!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 19/02/2012 - 12:58

johnha

Link Posted 23/02/2012 - 00:55
Sounds to me like the one's who will only cover the whole day are reading 10yr old copies of Amateur Photographer or Practical Photography.

I'd have thought any proper photographer, faced with a comment that only the ceremony and reception were required, would have offered to shoot the whole day anyway, confident that their creativity would deliver increased sales after the event.

Then again I've been informed by various wedding pro's that they're the only 'licensed' photographer for the day, and that I shouldn't be shooting my friends in the vintage car they paid for outside the church they also paid for...
PPG Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 23/02/2012 - 01:02
It's little use though lamenting that a photographer won't offer a particular package - if they don't want to, then so be it. It's presumably not the market segment that they want.

So it's off to somebody else who does want to do that sort of style or package.
Best regards, John

Charlotte

Link Posted 23/02/2012 - 09:46
Sorry - I haven't had any email notifications of replies.

Thanks for the ideas, I have sent all info on to them to have a look at.

Sorry John,
I didn't mean to cause a debate - I deliberately didn't mention the fact that on top of the two thousand pounds, the photographer wanted an hour each way travelling expenses, two nights accommodation in a hotel for themself and their assistant, this doesn't actually include the cost of any photos that they might want to keep.

So off to find sombody else is what we are trying to do hence my post for recommendations.

Kind regards
Charlotte

Stuey, thanks for the offer, you are such a sweetheart.
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

johnriley

Link Posted 23/02/2012 - 09:51
Nothing to be sorry about Charlotte, debate is good.

Sometimes of course photographers will quote a very high price for jobs they don't really want - if they should happen to be unlucky and win it anyway, then at least there's some profit to compensate for whatever the perceived inconvenience is!
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.