Any experience of AGFA Vista Plus 200 (Pound shop film?)

Jetsam1

Link Posted 22/01/2016 - 18:50
Hello.

Still got some of this £1 film (36 exposure!) from a UK pound shop. I have two questions. Firstly it expired in February last year and so I am unsure whether I should rate it slower than the given ISO of 200? Secondly is it worth persevering with (I have had good experiences with Kodak Colorplus 200 also from the pound shops)? AGFA are a known name in photography and it does say made in Japan on the box. I have yet to load any in as I had to finish a roll of Ektar in the Spotty F first. Will I just end up disappointed with this film or will it give an interesting look? I like film shots to look like they could be from the 60's and 70's. And to compare in feel to my Grandad's and Dad's 60s and 70s slides and negatives.

It will be going in the Spotmatic F I think just for fun. My film scanner has a problem that is fundamental so the scans will be poor until such time as I can afford/save up for second hand if possible Epson v500 series.........

Trying to rediscover the fun and relaxing things in life.
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 22/01/2016 - 20:25
Vista 200 is Fuji C200 film. I have used it a bit and I quite like it. Colours are muted and grain is pleasant.

I would rate it at 160 or a bit less, not because it's expired but just because colour film, especially cheap consumer grade film, benefits from a bit of over-exposure.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

QuestionableCarrot

Link Posted 22/01/2016 - 21:43
Great film. yes shoot it lower.

great all rounder
Learn how to live and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to live.

Check out ones photographs on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awprentice/

Jetsam1

Link Posted 23/01/2016 - 07:02
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I would rate it at 160 or a bit less, not because it's expired but just because colour film, especially cheap consumer grade film, benefits from a bit of over-exposure.

Not heard of this before. Think it may have improved some things somewhat in the past then! So even Ektar would benefit from rating it at 80 rather than 100 or is that just too finicky about exposure? I may have some Fuji in my drawer, definately some Superia 400. Not sure i I liked it or not..........?

Actually after raking through:

Should clear some of this older film out first before getting anything potentially nicer.I have 7 rolls of this AGFA, 7 rolls of Kodak Colorplus 200, 3 rolls of Fuji C200, 2 Ilford B+W 120 (supposed to be for the 6x7 I still haven't got around to trying), 2 rolls of Fuji Superia 400, 1 roll Ilford Delta 100 in a Super A and one roll of Ilford FP4 Plus expired in 2007! Most of the colour films are 1 year to 2 years expired. When I was shooting more film a couple of years ago I got obsessed with Kodak Ektar and forgot I had all of these! Just opened a drawer I haven't checked since we moved over here and found all of this........

I have a good local lab who will develop B+W and C41 for 880 HUF a film. This is roughly £2 or so and they do a decent job with a real dark room. No difference in price between 24 and 36 exposures which is annoying as the Kodaks are 24 and I would feel it's poor value!!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 23/01/2016 - 08:35
Jetsam1 wrote:
I have a good local lab who will develop B+W and C41 for 880 HUF a film. This is roughly £2 or so and they do a decent job with a real dark room. No difference in price between 24 and 36 exposures which is annoying as the Kodaks are 24 and I would feel it's poor value!!

Wow, that's very cheap indeed. Yeah, I generally avoid 24 exposure rolls just due to this. They end up being virtually the same price as 36 once you factor in developing.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Jetsam1

Link Posted 23/01/2016 - 09:58
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Jetsam1 wrote:

Wow, that's very cheap indeed. Yeah, I generally avoid 24 exposure rolls just due to this. They end up being virtually the same price as 36 once you factor in developing.

Downloaded the price list to double check and E6 slide development is 1500 HUF which is roughly £3.65............ There are some good things about living here!! Scanning gets pricey though...... You do have to physically go there though as I don't think they do postage, they supply a nice A4 holder for the negatives too!
Last Edited by Jetsam1 on 23/01/2016 - 09:59

womble

Link Posted 24/01/2016 - 11:11
I would leave Ektar at its rated ISO100. It is a really nice film when exposed and developed well, but has some nasty colour shifts when things are not perfect.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Jetsam1

Link Posted 24/01/2016 - 12:06
womble wrote:
I would leave Ektar at its rated ISO100. It is a really nice film when exposed and developed well, but has some nasty colour shifts when things are not perfect.

K.

Will have to wait and see how the two recent rolls go.Found a roll of Ektar I think is exposed but I have no memory of using it, and no idea what might be on it. Such is the state of my life! Am considering using a UK based process and scan service "Snaps Photo Service" seen them mentioned on the forum and they are good for the scanning and not too expensive.

michaelblue

Link Posted 24/01/2016 - 15:34
Just bought some Agfa Vista 200 today in Poundland but it is the 24 exp. version, however....it is dated until 2017!

It'll go into my 35mm ist* and newly acquired Kx 35mm cameras
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 31/01/2016 - 17:21
nothing wrong with that 'Agfa' from Poundland -- if you get light prints with green colours it is down to YOU for not exposing it correctly ! If it is outdated a bit I would rate it at 160 ASA.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Jetsam1

Link Posted 31/01/2016 - 19:14
Peter Elgar wrote:
nothing wrong with that 'Agfa' from Poundland -- if you get light prints with green colours it is down to YOU for not exposing it correctly ! If it is outdated a bit I would rate it at 160 ASA.

My Dad's old Spotmatic F with an ok lightmeter but no idea how accurate the shutter speeds are!!

Peter Elgar

Link Posted 01/02/2016 - 16:48
I have a Spotmatic F and the shutter speeds seem accurate OK compared with a Weston Master III and V.
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Jetsam1

Link Posted 07/02/2016 - 18:19
Got out today and compared well to a Pentax Q and a Pentax P30t I found in a bag I'd forgotten about.......... Half a film from at least 3 years ago inside! We shall see what is on it! K55 1.7 on the front as I am not sure where my A 50mm 1.7 is.....
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.