Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Any advice on what to shoot in Tunisia?

caj26
Posted 24/01/2014 - 18:47 Link
It's our 25th anniversary this year, so we are off to Tunisia in two weeks I am really asking what is there, that is must see? Thanks.
Fletcher8
Posted 24/01/2014 - 19:04 Link
caj26

WOW, lots to photograph, but it depends where abouts your are and what access to transport you will have. I guess it also depends on what you like to photograph. Anyway these links might help.

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/expedition-to-tunisia.html
http://www.corinthiantravel.co.uk/tunisia-holidays/top-ten-sites
http://laughingsquid.com/photos-of-abandoned-star-wars-film-sets-locations-in-tu...
Fletcher8.
RalphHardwick
Posted 24/01/2014 - 21:23 Link
caj26
Here is a link to our Land Rover expedition through Tunisia in 2010. I can't show any photos here as they were taken with an Olympus but they are on the site.
Tunisia trip

El Jem Roman amphitheatre is definitely worth a visit and offers plenty of photo opportunities. The Great Mosque and Medina in Kairouan is also a great place to visit. with giant salt flats, the Sahara desert and mountains there is plenty of landscapes to see. If you're interested in WWII history there is also Rommels Bunker and the Mareth Line Museum. Both worth a visit.

There are loads of places in Tunisia which were used as film locations for Gladiator, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Life of Brian and loads more.

A trip out into the desert by 4X4 or camel can be a great experience.

We loved our time there. Whatever you do, don't stay in the resort all the time or you will miss so much
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Edited by RalphHardwick: 24/01/2014 - 21:27
johnha
Posted 25/01/2014 - 00:48 Link
RalphHardwick wrote:
caj26
Here is a link to our Land Rover expedition through Tunisia in 2010. I can't show any photos here as they were taken with an Olympus but they are on the site.
Tunisia trip

Great blog and good photos, sadly I had to let my ex-MOD late IIa 109 go a few years ago...
Smeggypants
Posted 25/01/2014 - 04:28 Link
Apart from the Life of Brian Set, which is hallowed ground, and worthy of standing outside the Ribat at Monastir, shouting Jehovah!, Jehovah!, Jehovah! I'd personally avoid anything famousy and try and get some real culture shots, and I agree, don't stay in one place
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
caj26
Posted 25/01/2014 - 08:36 Link
Thank-you all, I have enjoyed looking at the links! I really appreciate all your advice. I would love to visit the dessert but I think we may be too far away, definitely want to see the El -Gem colosseum! I just need to convince the boss!
RalphHardwick
Posted 25/01/2014 - 18:57 Link
Caj26
Where are you staying? Many of the main tourist hotels run day trips into the desert. Some even do overnight stops in Berber tents.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
caj26
Posted 25/01/2014 - 23:17 Link
We are staying in Kautaoui by the beach.
RalphHardwick
Posted 26/01/2014 - 16:56 Link
If you mean Port El Kantaoui then El Djem is an easy day out. Just doing a quick google I found this:

Mini Safari

There a probably others but this seems to tick most of the boxes. I just searched for "desert trips from port el kantaoui"

I hope that helps.

For what it's worth, Port El Kantaoui is okay, if you like that sort of thing, but is very touristy and not very representative of the country. We stayed there for 2 nights at the end of our trip.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
RalphHardwick
Posted 26/01/2014 - 16:57 Link
johnha wrote:

Great blog and good photos, sadly I had to let my ex-MOD late IIa 109 go a few years ago...

Thanks. Iwould find it hard to imagine life without a Land Rover on the drive
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
python118
Posted 26/01/2014 - 21:09 Link
Hi, Kantaoui harbour is a must its like post card picturesque, be aware of tunisions on the beach comming up to you and placing some cloth on your head and making a turbon and then they try and get money out of you for it don't let it happen all don't except anything off them, they are a pain. Have a good holiday

Regards Dave
python118
Posted 27/01/2014 - 11:54 Link
If you walk out of your hotel on to the beach turn right keep walking you will end up in Kantaoui takes 30 min, also the city of Sousse is worth a visit its a experience on its own and you will get some good pics
there.

Regards Dave
Roscoe
Posted 27/01/2014 - 16:52 Link
caj26 wrote:
It's our 25th anniversary this year, so we are off to Tunisia in two weeks I am really asking what is there, that is must see? Thanks.

Camels?
pentaxian450
Posted 27/01/2014 - 18:59 Link
It all depends upon the caliber of the rifle.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
brishane
Posted 31/01/2014 - 15:46 Link
Good suggestions for shots here.
I have never been there in Tunisia but when I travel or go to new places, my usual shot themes are people and nature.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.