Another Review of the K-3 ;-)

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 14:57

Dodge69

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 15:00
LOL I thought I recognised the name, guess we should take that 95% score with a pinch of salt then
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

alfpics

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 15:04
Excellent Daniel - have just opened my copy of the magazine. OP camera reviews are usually up in the 90s it seems, so good to see the K-3 amongst them!
Andy

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 16:59
Dodge69 wrote:
LOL I thought I recognised the name, guess we should take that 95% score with a pinch of salt then

Not at all, bearing in mind the 70D got 94% the month before I think, and I handled one just after doing this review, I think it's fair. But as Andy says, it's rare for a review to come up significantly below this anyway. Ratings are very hard to do.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

cedricd

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 19:08
Hi Daniel, thanks for the link. I spoke with Chris today and came home poorer in the pocket but richer in the kit bag
Enjoy life

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 19:20
cedricd wrote:
Hi Daniel, thanks for the link. I spoke with Chris today and came home poorer in the pocket but richer in the kit bag

I'm sure you won't be at all disappointed Cedric, I really was sorry to have to send it back. I'll be getting one myself in the not-too-distant future, Chris has got some great offers on at the moment.

Dan

cedricd

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 19:42
Just wish the battery would finish charging! Put it on when I returned from Watford about four ish. Feeling like a child in a sweetshop waiting for a parent to turn up with the money..... Worth talking with Chris, he is up for a deal, my advice is just ask.
Enjoy life

col55555ine

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 21:26
So u don't have a spare ????
k-5 IIs, Pentax 60-250, 17-70, 100macro WR, 50mm F2,
AF50 F1.4, Siggy 10-20, Siggy 100-300 F4, ..Pentax Af 160 ring flash

cedricd

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 21:40
Ummm! only bought it today so the initial charge is a long one.... BTW the K5 (same battery) would last switched on for at least a days operating.
Enjoy life

dcweather

Link Posted 08/02/2014 - 22:07
I don't have my K30 any more but my K3 battery seems to last a lot longer, maybe twice as long.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 17/02/2014 - 22:14
In case you (inexplicably) don't get Outdoor Photography, the full review is now downloadable via my blog post.

Dan

Smeggypants

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 03:08
I can never take any review seriously that gives a product a percentage score. It's just such an absurd illogical notion from the starting blocks.

To start with no one can quantify what 100% is , so any other score is just an arbitrary number plucked out of thin air.

And really even if you could define what 100% means, how can you give a subjective feeling an objective score like a percentage?

The whole concept is silly and destroys any credibility the review or reviewer ever had to start with.

Even more ludicrous that people are expending brain cells that one camera got 95% and another got 94%.

By all means give critique on features and give subjective opinions, but once you start giving a percentage score you open yourselves up for objects of ridicule.

However my gut feeing may be wrong so if I am let's see the rationale and objective analysis behind the awarding of specific percentage scores ...

Handling 97%
Performance 96%
Specification 96%
Value 91%

Handling: What objective tests meant "handling" got 97% instead of 98% or 96%? What denotes 100%?

Specification: Specification is interesting? Did you analyse the published specification and conclude that it got 4% of it wrong? What part of the specification did Pentax get wrong? This is at least one aspect that could be objectively quantified.

Performance: Again how was this figure arrived at? What do you consider 100% performance? If you can answer that then how is the percentage arrived at? Is this a linear depreciation of 100% or a non-linear scale? if it's non linear, what are the formulas for the curve?

Value: The same goes with "Value". What parameters and criteria did you use for for arriving at the percentage score for Value?

I spend some time asking this as giving scores to a 1:100 accuracy surely suggests some objective calculations?

Most reviews I read give scores between 1 and 5 out of 5. usally stars. That's obviously along the same non credibility as the daily horoscopes in tabloids, but scores out a hundred are surely derived from more exacting analysis?

I look forward to seeing the detailed method used to arrive at these scores.

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

K10D

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 05:43
Smeggypants wrote:
I look forward to seeing the detailed method used to arrive at these scores.

It should be interesting.

Best regards

johnriley

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 07:41
Percentage scores can be based on detailed lists of things that add points to them, for example with value you could compare a set number of parameters of features vs cost of features. Such lists are in existence, although I don't know if this particular review used them. It's not necessarily as random as it's easy to assume.

However, I agree that scoring systems are a bit dubious at best and useless at worst. That does not negate the value of a review though, it's something that's there in reviews because the audience demands it. Or at least a large proportion does, because people are looking for a "top trumps" reason to say their camera is better than mine, or maybe a quick summary to aid a slightly casual buying decision.

Ridiculing a review because it has a scoring system seems to me as silly or not as the scoring system. We understand why it's there, don't we?
Best regards, John

MrB

Link Posted 18/02/2014 - 09:04
The K-3 will soon be the perfect camera, Smeggy. As its price falls, the value score will rise above 100%, taking the overall result up to 100%.

Philip
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.