Another of our garden guests

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/10/2011 - 15:08
This is one of the wolf spider family, often known as the European Tarantula, carrying her young.

She turned up on our doorstep (literally) last night.

Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 21/10/2011 - 15:09

ChrisR

Link Posted 21/10/2011 - 15:35
Great shots Peter, good focus on the eyes, but glad it was your doorstep and not mine.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/10/2011 - 16:10
Those are her young all over her back?

Interesting pics.
. My Flickr

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/10/2011 - 16:29
My wife spotted her first and in the semi-darkness I thought it was just another type of spider I hadn't seen before. These are very hurried shots with little merit other than as a record. I was more than a little surprised when I saw them on the big screen, to see all those babies.

Apparantly wolf spiders, and possibly others, do this with their young. They carry the egg sac around with them attached to their spinerettes, when they hatch, the spiderlings climb aboard mums back. Fascinating I think.

I photographed one a while ago that was on our house wall. Knowing no different, we nicknamed it Boris. We'll have to call her Beryl now I guess.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 21/10/2011 - 16:30

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/10/2011 - 16:30
Just imaginge getting close to that with a MP-E 65
. My Flickr

Mannesty

Link Posted 21/10/2011 - 17:31
Mike-P wrote:
Just imaginge getting close to that with a MP-E 65

Believe me, I do.

And someday soon . . . .
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

fatspider

Link Posted 22/10/2011 - 10:42
Dont let it get in the house, with all those spiderlings they'll be all over the place give it to a neigbour instead
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

K10D

Link Posted 22/10/2011 - 12:12
Wonderful stuff!

Try as I might, I have yet to find a Huntsman or other large nasty over here. Keep her for a few weeks in a large glass aquarium (dry!) and feed her maggots till the young ones grow a little.

Sign on window to burglars " warning-?????"

Best regards

Mannesty

Link Posted 22/10/2011 - 15:00
K10D wrote:
Sign on window to burglars " warning-?????"

Not a bad idea, it'd save me about 37 a month for my monitored alarm system.

Isn't nature wonderful, a solution for everything.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Mannesty

Link Posted 22/10/2011 - 15:10
It saddens me to have to report that the spider and most of her babies are no more.

We have 14,15, or is it 16 feral cats, all of whom except one live outside, we just feed them and have had them all rendered unproductive. As is the way with nature, they are all higher in the food chain than spiders.

I don't think I need say any more except, some of the babies, about 10 of them, have some how avoided becoming cat food and live on to become photographic models in future years.

The errant, and obviously hungry, feline is called Matilda, and rest assured she won't be doing too much waltzing for a while.

PS: For the cat lovers, she's fine, no ill effects.

PPS: For the spider lovers . . . there are plenty more.

Foe me, I love 'em both, but that's life, as they say.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 22/10/2011 - 15:12
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.