All around lens choice

stratosk

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 08:37
Finally the DA 35mm f2.4 arrived yesterday!
I can't wait the weekend to play with it!

Do i need a UV filter for the protection of the front element? I read articles they say that UV filters are reducing IQ and they are not offering any actual protection.
Also, which hood are you suggesting me to fit on the lens? The original Pentax RH-RC 49 it's a bit expensive for me right now.

Thank you very much!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 09:21
I wouldn't bother with the UV filter ;P

Personally I don't bother with the hood either, but I did get a JJC copy of the RH-RC 49 hood, and also have a collapsible rubber hood to use... it's just they add a lot of bulk to the lens. I definitely should be using a hood though, and so should you!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

johnriley

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 09:52
Hoods are a good idea as they reduce the potential for flare.

Filters should be avoided unless needed for effects or, possibly, to protect against salt spray from the sea.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 09:58
I always remember when I got my first Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 from a seller on Ebay, it came with a Hoya filter. When I tried the lens every shot was slightly out of focus and just lacking the quality I expected so I was all ready to file a complaint and get a refund when I thought I would remove the filter and try a couple more test shots.

Suddenly the lens performed completely differently, the pictures were sharp and they had that punch I expected.

I have never used a filter since.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Mongoose

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 16:29
Mike-P wrote:
I always remember when I got my first Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 from a seller on Ebay, it came with a Hoya filter. When I tried the lens every shot was slightly out of focus and just lacking the quality I expected so I was all ready to file a complaint and get a refund when I thought I would remove the filter and try a couple more test shots.

Suddenly the lens performed completely differently, the pictures were sharp and they had that punch I expected.

I have never used a filter since.

my FA 80-320 objects strongly to filters in a similar way. It is my experience that some lenses are perfectly happy to be fitted with a filter and others are not.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

MrB

Link Posted 18/09/2013 - 23:21
You can get cheap lens hoods from eBay. The collapsible 49mm screw-on rubber ones are effective - and its like having a shock absorber on the front of the camera to take the inevitable little bumps! Just remember to screw it on gently - so it comes off again easily.

Philip

stratosk

Link Posted 20/09/2013 - 12:55
is this hood any good?

NEW standard 49mm metal lens hood cover for 49mm filter/lens

Do you have any particular to suggest me?

Thank you in advance!
Last Edited by stratosk on 20/09/2013 - 12:56
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.