Ages of Mankind

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 07/10/2019 - 09:32
Street art and illustration on walls and arches surrounding the Custard Factory in the Deritend area of Birmingham City, UK.

I always feel a little unsure about photographing street art, especially which as been done with great skill as this! as I'm often conflicted about posting it the resulting photography online as it feels somewhat fraudulent to do so. But I did want to share with everyone on here so, I have taken the liberty of combining into a tryptic of sorts.

In my minds eye I see the tribal beginnings of humankind with ritual and cultural practises followed by spiritual and longing for answers, looking for god, followed by to the new age of freedom, science and futuristic technology that will be our salvation. - pretentious, me? never

Massive respect and kudos must go to the original artists, who produced these stunning works, the level of creativity and skill is mind blowing for a simple person like me.

Ages of Mankind
-

Regards
Geoff
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 07/10/2019 - 12:27
EDIT: #1 is by the incredible illustrator Justin Sola > www.instagram.com/justinsola/

drofmit

Link Posted 08/10/2019 - 13:21
This is a collection of rather random thoughts.
There is an ephemeral nature to any form of street art / grafiti and even, at times, sculpture.
It needs to be recorded... and I think published...
Recorded because of its ephemerality...
Published because it is a.... public work of art...
My wife is from Brum... she can't travel these day, so it is nice for her to be able to see them...
there will be others who feel the same.
The same applies to some of the wonderful "chalk" illustrations on pub walls, noticeboards, etc...
Someone has put a lot of time and effort into these things... someone else needs to record them.
The image below is on a building that is rarely seen, and probably by people like myself who stopped to have lunch...
or the bargees and local dog emptiers... it is by a canal in Northern France and the road goes straight over the top.
You cannot see them from the road...

Three months previously, the wall looked like this:

This was nine years ago... what has been painted in the intervening years.
Never be afraid to talk about your techniques...
"Give a thousand photographers...
the same camera, lens and scene...
and you'll always get a thousand different takes!!"
Anon.

Sry

Link Posted 13/10/2019 - 18:00
Geoff, I would consider these fine reproductions of artwork, it's all good really (especially if you provide - when known - the names of the artists). I quite agree with what Tim says above. The other approach is to provide context, or your own special way of seeing such art...

Helpful

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 15/10/2019 - 09:29
Sry wrote:
Geoff, I would consider these fine reproductions of artwork, it's all good really (especially if you provide - when known - the names of the artists). I quite agree with what Tim says above. The other approach is to provide context, or your own special way of seeing such art...

Thank you Sry. That's food for thought, I do my best to make sure the original source is cited and credited accordingly. thank you for your comment.

McGregNi

Link Posted 20/10/2019 - 19:13
I'm not able to comment on the art work itself, its not my strength at all .... but I think you have captured some excellent technical reproductions with strong depth, dynamic range and exposure control.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Helpful

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 21/10/2019 - 09:16
McGregNi wrote:
I'm not able to comment on the art work itself, its not my strength at all .... but I think you have captured some excellent technical reproductions with strong depth, dynamic range and exposure control.

Thank you! That's kind of you to say. These and several others I suspect have been up for a while and they have faded with sunlight and the conditions....

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/10/2019 - 09:34
Then you photos can be considered as "Digitally Enhanced"!.... Kind of like a digital remake of an old Sci Fi movie.

Also, the technical distinctions between yours and the ones posted by the other member above, are plain to see.

With this type of photography, it is solely the technical aspects that matter... The artistic stuff has already been done.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 21/10/2019 - 09:42

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 21/10/2019 - 09:44
Thank you..... thinking about Science Fiction, I love old Sci-Fi. I think The Day of the Triffids and Quatermass and the Pit ( 1958 ) are two of my favs.
Last Edited by GeoffMoore on 21/10/2019 - 09:45

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 21/10/2019 - 17:03
What I like about these are the strong compositions as well as the deep blacks and vibrant colours you've captured
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.