Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

AF400FTZ or AF-360FGZ TTL with Pentax 645?

niblue
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:09 Link
gartmore wrote:
It is curious that the 360 seems to work, I'll be interested to hear how the pictures come out! Now, of course, I'm sitting at a table surrounded with bodies and flasguns trying out all sorts of combinations. My late 60s vintage Pentax flash works a treat with everything including the DS but I'd long forgotten, thankfully, the carry on about calculating exposures

I only took one picture (a grab portrait of my son) with the 645 & AF360FGZ - I've had the film back from that and the exposure was fine. Given the distance I think had the flash fired at full-power rather than being quenched via TTL then it'd have been very overexposed, so it's likely that TTL did work (the flash switches to TTL when attached to the camera).

Even if TTL didn't work the 360FGZ would still be workable as it could be used in "A" mode.
gartmore
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:24 Link
MattMatic wrote:
Quote:
... but I suspect they just cant talk to one another.

I beg to differ

The AF360 connected on a 4P link will behave exactly like any other 4P flash gun. I've even used the AF360 on the *ist-D in TTL mode using a 4P link.

That said, if the AF360 has been previously used on a K10D (for example) the it will be "stuck" in P-TTL mode until it talks to a TTL only body (like an MZ10 etc). This may be the only sticking point when connecting onto a really old body that supports TTL only.

You only have to push the Mode button on the AF360... if you only get P-TTL then you have to "retrain" it on a body. If you get "TTL" as one of the modes then everything should be just fine and dandy

So, if the MF 645 supports TTL then I would say it will work with the AF360 and AF540.

Don't you just love Pentax compatibility!!
Matt

Matt, I was talking specifically about the AF400FTZ

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
niblue
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:27 Link
MattMatic wrote:
That said, if the AF360 has been previously used on a K10D (for example) the it will be "stuck" in P-TTL mode until it talks to a TTL only body (like an MZ10 etc). This may be the only sticking point when connecting onto a really old body that supports TTL only.

That wasn't a problem - the flash switched to TTL mode when I mounted it to the 645 and pressed the shutter button half-way.

Quote:
You only have to push the Mode button on the AF360... if you only get P-TTL then you have to "retrain" it on a body. If you get "TTL" as one of the modes then everything should be just fine and dandy

So, if the MF 645 supports TTL then I would say it will work with the AF360 and AF540.

Indeed I do - it's just a damn shame my AF400FTZ doesn't seem quite as compatible as I'd hoped. My initial plan was to leave that in the 645 bag however it looks like the 360FGZ will be getting moved between systems!
gartmore
Posted 11/01/2008 - 12:58 Link
niblue wrote:
MattMatic wrote:

That wasn't a problem - the flash switched to TTL mode when I mounted it to the 645 and pressed the shutter button half-way.

Quote:

Indeed I do - it's just a damn shame my AF400FTZ doesn't seem quite as compatible as I'd hoped. My initial plan was to leave that in the 645 bag however it looks like the 360FGZ will be getting moved between systems!

Oh, stop this. Now I'm going to have to buy the 360
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
MattMatic
Posted 11/01/2008 - 13:01 Link
Quote:
Matt, I was talking specifically about the AF400FTZ

Whoops
Just re-read the thread... my must brain in muddle be
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
gartmore
Posted 11/01/2008 - 13:18 Link
Just worked out that if I ebay all the old flasguns I CAN get a new one
Ken
niblue
Posted 11/01/2008 - 14:04 Link
gartmore wrote:
Just worked out that if I ebay all the old flasguns I CAN get a new one

You can sometimes find them cheap on Ebay - my own AF360FGZ came that way. Don't recall what I actually paid for it, but it was under £100.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.