Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo Visit Asahi Photo

AF160FC ring flash will only fire on Manual Full Power

Waggy
Posted 20/12/2022 - 16:26 Link
I know that I'm probably clutching at straws, but having just tried to use my AF160FC ring flash, I found that it will no longer work in Auto mode (it fires the pre-flash - but no main flash) - and in manual mode, regardless of the setting (1/4, 1/2 or Full), it always just fires at full power.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

And if so, did you find any magic solution ?
Richard
Lubbyman
Posted 20/12/2022 - 17:11 Link
Clutching at straws here, but have you tried cleaning the contacts on both the camera and flash controller? If the controller and camera aren't communicating correctly than anything might happen.

Steve
Waggy
Posted 20/12/2022 - 17:33 Link
That was my first hope too, that all the contacts just needed a good clean.

But I've gone to town with cleaning the contacts with as many ideas as I can think of and no success.

I can be confident that the camera is not the issue, as all my other flashes still work fine in Auto mode, but I get the same behaviour with my AF160FC ring flash on both my camera bodies.
Richard
MHOL190246
Posted 21/12/2022 - 15:44 Link
Does using the switch on the back of the actual flash ring make any difference to output? I appreciate that this will only fire one side of the ring, but I wondered whether this could be a straw worth clutching, so to speak.

Michael
Waggy
Posted 21/12/2022 - 16:00 Link
Yes, the switch for selecting left, right or both sides of the ring is still working as it should.

It is also changing modes between Auto and Manual ok - as I checked that by setting the 2 sec shutter delay and with Auto I get a black exposureas it has obviously fired the pre-flash at max output and has nothinng left in the tank for the real exposure - whereas in manual it does correctly fire at the right time while the shutter is open for the real exposure, but regardless of the manual power setting (1/4, 1/2 or Full), it always just fires at full power.

It's so fustrating, because I always used it as a fill-in flash for macro work outside - and until now it worked perfectly in Auto mode.
Richard
MHOL190246
Posted 22/12/2022 - 15:25 Link
The only other suggestion that I can come up with is, would it be worth turning/jiggling the control wheel round a few times in case it is a dirty contact on the switch mechanism?
takuman
Posted 22/12/2022 - 16:07 Link
I have found that if I have a faulty item, I purchase an new one, when the new purchase arrives, the original item immediately works and I return the new one. Happy Xmas one and all. Over and out.
Just passing thru
Lubbyman
Posted 22/12/2022 - 16:56 Link
Difficult to buy a new one when it hasn't been in production for a long time...

It sounds like the fault is in the bit of the controller's electronics that works out how much power to send to the flash - when on auto it says 'no power', when on manual it says 'full power'. It might be something as conceptually simple as a capacitor or resistor having failed, but that's no use unless it can be checked and replaced. It might be worth putting out a shout in the flash part of the Americam forum. There are people there who take cameras and flashes apart, seemingly for fun. They even seem able to put them back together again!

Steve
MHOL190246
Posted 24/12/2022 - 16:12 Link
I have just come across this firm https://1staidrepairs.co.uk/flash-and-studio-flashgun-repair, if it ios any use

Michael
Waggy
Posted 26/12/2022 - 18:14 Link
Thanks, I will definitely contact them for some advice and a quote
Richard

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.