Advice sought for a trip to Oz

JAK

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 17:03
johnriley wrote:
It's in the Pentax instructions. I would believe Pentax, even if much of the time we might "get away with it" the information will be accurate. Pentax don't sell any filters, so nothing to make money out of by saying it.

I'd like to read that John so which Pentax instructions are you referring to please? I've been unable to find mention in any of the Pentax DSLR manuals. I've read so many times that Pentax cameras donít actually need a circular polarizer to operate whereas other makes do require it.
One thing to note is that not all polarizers are born equal and there are some poor ones around.
John K

johnriley

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 17:55
"SMC Pentax-DA Interchangeable Lens Operating Manual" page 32.
Quote:
Use a circular polarising filter with an autofocus camera for proper exposure and autofocusing.

Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 18:58
SteveLedger wrote:
Using filters or not depends entirely on who you ask. My advice is to ask yourself what you'd like to do.
In any case using filters or not has nothing to do with Australia, the Australian sun happens to be the same sun that shines over the UK.
If you're heading to the coast a skylight filter might be useful to stop sea spray getting on your lens front element.
For what it's worth, I live in a tropical region of Australia, I don't use filters.

It might be the same Sun Steve, but it shines at a more perpendicular angle over Australia than it does over the UK! The light is also a lot brighter too.

When in hotter climes with brighter light I always use a polariser, I find it invaluable for many reasons, not least it helps colours to 'pop'.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidstorm

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 19:00
johnriley wrote:
"SMC Pentax-DA Interchangeable Lens Operating Manual" page 32.
Quote:
Use a circular polarising filter with an autofocus camera for proper exposure and autofocusing.

Interestingly, I've found that even with circular polarisers (I've tried many different ones), the 55-300 doesn't work properly with them. It won't focus accurately.

Even with a skylight filter attached to this lens I have had problems, whereas 'naked' it works perfectly. There have been threads on this in the past where others have posted about the same issues.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

HowardJ

Link Posted 18/05/2017 - 20:20
Thanks everybody for responding and for your comments and advice, I've learnt a few things from this. I currently don't use any filters but I was unaware of the "problem" of filters with a 55-300, thanks David (Storm). I was also very pleased to get Steve(Ledger)'s comments about not using filters in his photography, also good advice on using a skylight filter to protect from any sea spray if we're on the coast - we are hoping to do a bit of whale watching near Ballina and/or Byron Bay. I shall definitely take RichandFleur's advice and enjoy Australia, and hopefully come away with some good images.

I know it's winter down under when we go but I do hope that the sun will make an appearance for us.

Thanks all once again.

Howard
Cymru Am Byth

cabstar

Link Posted 19/05/2017 - 00:18
JAK wrote:
cabstar wrote:
Never use filters.

Not even polarizing to reduce unwanted reflections? No
Not even ND to allow a longer exposure? Tried one for a wedding I shot in Greece but made AF impossible
Not even a yellow filter with panchromatic film to enhance the sky? No
Filters can have their uses.
Some Pentax lenses actually have filters built into them, you can't not use them with those! That includes a Pentax lens first released within the last seven years (DA 25mm f/4)

Only ones I used with a built in filter was an old Tamron 400mm f/4 and I couldn't see a difference with the filter in place or not.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

richandfleur

Link Posted 19/05/2017 - 02:07
JAK wrote:
Are you certain that applies to all Digital Cameras?

Have you Richard experienced an issue first hand or are you repeating something read off A N other brand web site?

No, I only have a circular polariser, so not an issue for me. Just raising it as the only example I know of when specifically not to use a filter on a DSLR.

It appears as though the AF and metering can be skewed when a linear polariser is used, depending on the angle of the linear filter, so you might get lucky or might not. Users and articles on many websites (not just one website, but the vast majority) report varying degrees of issues with a linear polariser, affecting both AF and metering.

Has to do with the mirrors being multi purpose in a DSLR, with some light going up to the viewfinder, and some going the AF and metering systems. A linear polariser, on the right angle, can block light to one or more of these components. So, wouldn't be an issue if you manually focussed and weren't using the internal metering features, ie shooting in full manual mode of aperture, shutter speed and fixed ISO.

Stuey

Link Posted 19/05/2017 - 09:43
Hi Howard

Long time no see/ speak.

I fear to tread on the ground that is filter rights an wrongs, however, whilst I have not had much on the water photo experience what I have learned is that if you are close enough to the water while whale watching (or anything else) then I would use a UV filter (as mentioned above) as the salt water deposits on your lens can cause scratching when being cleaned.

Also, if you are in with a shout of even light spray it may be best to buy a camera lens cover as salt water leaves deposits that are worse than sand for cleaning off your kit.

I went on one of the dolphin spotting boats out of New Quay, Ceredigion and my UV filter needed to be washed afterwards, a bit of a pain but better than having to clean the front element if the lens.

My camera body also showed signs of salt water and I thought I had kept it reasonably well shielded.

A few quid plastic cover may be useful to you 😀

Have a great time in Oz Howard.

Regards

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Last Edited by Stuey on 19/05/2017 - 09:46

Roscoe

Link Posted 19/05/2017 - 14:04
davidtrout wrote:
All my lenses have filters, skylight or similar. I'd rather clean any gunge from a filter than the front element of a lens.
David

Well said David,
I can't afford to replace my lenses, and fitted filters at time of purchase!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.