Advice please


Lubbyman

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 11:32
You wicked people .

I'd convinced myself that the DA* 300 + 1.4 TC is all I need for distant wildlife, that the original 55-300mm is good for general purpose wanderings and that no more telephoto lenses are needed, not now, not ever, not never. But now you're making me wonder about the PLM + TC, which I'd never considered as a possibility for typically dull British weather. It ain't that I can't hold the DA* 300 + TC steady enough, it's just so big 'n heavy when you just want a couple of relaxing hours wandering around.

But I totally agree with takuman - "I enjoy very much my 300* and would never part with it".

Steve

takuman

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 14:03
Lubbyman I have to agree with all you say. I however have cracked and ordered the 55-300 PLM from SRS (Open box) having vowed never to buy another lens, ever! I am a weak person I know, but hey ho as the boss says "you can't take it with you".
Just passing thru

Lubbyman

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 18:43
takuman wrote:
I however have cracked and ordered the 55-300 PLM from SRS (Open box) having vowed never to buy another lens, ever! I am a weak person I know, but hey ho as the boss says "you can't take it with you".

Thank you for removing a source of temptation. However, I fear that you might provide proof that it's a wonderful thing to have...

There are rumours that you can't take a 55-300 PLM with you, either. Although you can bequeath it to a member of the younger generation to confuse them because they can't work out how to fit it to their phone...

Steve

takuman

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 20:36
I now have a bad thought in my head Steve. I see me looking down from above (hopefully) and watching my nearest and dearest using my beloved lens collection as flower vases or something. I think I will donate them to The Impoverished Photographers Union.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 22:29
takuman wrote:
I think I will donate them to The Impoverished Photographers Union.

Do you mean those who have bought a K1 plus all the new lenses??

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 14/02/2020 - 22:35
Lubbyman wrote:
takuman wrote:
I think I will donate them to The Impoverished Photographers Union.

Do you mean those who have bought a K1 plus all the new lenses??

Steve

No I think he means all those who keep swopping systems in the hope magic will finally happen.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 15/02/2020 - 01:42
HarisF1 wrote:
These are excellent examples, I'm really impressed with how the sharpness of the PLM is retained through the TC. Can you comment on the handling?

Due to the slim size of the TC it adds scarcely anything to the length. Speed of focus is not diminished because it's electronic, not screw. In all, I didn't notice any difference. The PLM itself, of course, is simply a super lens and designed for a K3.

TAKUMAN .... Just a note. I was unhappy with the PLM first off until I realised it was back focusing. A bit of experiment and minor adjustment quickly fixed it.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 15/02/2020 - 01:48

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 15/02/2020 - 09:48
Any idea what tracking is like with the PLM + TC? I've never been sure whether tracking with the DA*300 (with or wthout TC) is limited by the lens or camera (K3). If lens, there's a chance it's better with the PLM. If the camera, it will be much the same.

Steve

takuman

Link Posted 15/02/2020 - 11:09
HarisF1, thanks for the advice on the PLM
Just passing thru

HarisF1

Link Posted 15/02/2020 - 12:30
takuman wrote:
HarisF1, thanks for the advice on the PLM

I think it was 'davidwozhere' with the advice

jeallen01

Link Posted 15/02/2020 - 19:28
David

Which TC did you use?
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

davidwozhere

Link Posted 15/02/2020 - 23:39
Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF. I presume by 'tracking' Steve means panning to follow a moving object while using continuous AF? Answer - I haven't a clue! Too many buttons to push with arthritic fingers.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

takuman

Link Posted 16/02/2020 - 09:55
My apologies to davidwozhere regarding his advice. Senior finger trouble.
Just passing thru

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/02/2020 - 13:42
davidwozhere wrote:
I presume by 'tracking' Steve means panning to follow a moving object while using continuous AF? Answer - I haven't a clue! Too many buttons to push with arthritic fingers.

Yes, got it in one. Otherwise known as "I can't keep the flying bird in frame and focus at the same time, so let's hope the camera can deal with the focus". Sorry about your finger problems. Perhaps Ricoh can add voice control to Pentax cameras. More useful than being able to ask a plastic blob on a shelf what the weather's like in Timbuktu.

Steve

Chrism8

Link Posted 16/02/2020 - 19:03
Have you considered BBF ( back button focussing ) takes a short while to get used to, but after that becomes second nature.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.