Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Adobe releases subscription-only Photoshop CC

fatspider
Posted 23/06/2013 - 08:56 Link
I think the monthly rental is a good idea, and Adobe should take the idea even further and offer it's customers the option to just pay for the tools they use, how much a month would crop, levels, sharpen, and the occasional clone cost me?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Algernon
Posted 23/06/2013 - 09:31 Link
gartmore wrote:
I'm sure Adobe aren't pocketing the VAT, you aren't purchasing from a company in the UK. You pay VAT at that country's rate.

So does that mean that they are yet another company
avoiding paying any Corporation Tax in the UK

Obviously anyone using the software for Business
purposes will be offsetting the rental and possibly
the VAT from their own Corporation/Income Tax so
the Taxman loses out again

At least when software was sold in boxes it was delivered
to the shops by wagons that were ...... ???? .......
registered abroad to avoid paying UK Road Tax

Somethin's not right here .... do any companies pay any tax?

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 23/06/2013 - 09:41
Smeggypants
Posted 23/06/2013 - 09:41 Link
fatspider wrote:
I think the monthly rental is a good idea, and Adobe should take the idea even further and offer it's customers the option to just pay for the tools they use, how much a month would crop, levels, sharpen, and the occasional clone cost me?

Yeah let's install "pre paid meters" for software. Then we'll have to nip across the road to the neighbour to borrow 50p until thursday so we can apply that Smart Sharpening.

Comment Image
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Smeggypants
Posted 23/06/2013 - 09:43 Link
Algernon wrote:
gartmore wrote:
I'm sure Adobe aren't pocketing the VAT, you aren't purchasing from a company in the UK. You pay VAT at that country's rate.

'

Without wishing to incur the wrath of John for taking the thread of topic the system is designed to allow those at the top of the pyramid to have "loopholes" while ordinary folk have to toe the line.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Algernon
Posted 23/06/2013 - 09:45 Link
My local pubs like that ...... all drinks are rented by the
month.... but the landlord lets me choose and pay for just
the beer, scotch or wine that I consume on each visit
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
CMW
Posted 23/06/2013 - 09:47 Link
Some people on this thread are happy with the subscription service, others are seriously discontented. There has been quite a bit of discussion about piracy. But what surfaces a bit less often than I'd have expected is the chief reason companies like Adobe are turning to subscription: it has the potential to make very good reading on their balance sheet. Benefits to the user, if any, are incidental. Subscription has for long underpinned the finances of magazines and journals, and it's now familiar in many spheres. It provides companies with a highly predictable cash flow, the ability over time to raise rates in real terms, and the always powerful force of customer inertia. Whether Adobe's move is welcomed or abhorred, let's not be misled by smokescreens to the most powerful motive for the proposed change: increased profit from essentially the same product.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
tyronet2000
Posted 23/06/2013 - 09:58 Link
Algernon wrote:
My local pubs like that ...... all drinks are rented by the
month.... but the landlord lets me choose and pay for just
the beer, scotch or wine that I consume on each visit

The pub only rents you the drink, then after a time most of the drink is eventually recycled. Many of the Leek growers in this area were said to water their "prize winners" with filtered beer, ie filtered through the kidneys
Regards
Stan

PPG
johnriley
Posted 23/06/2013 - 10:01 Link
Indeed so CMW, companies and individuals need to make money to survive. We all earn money to pay our bills and buy more Pentax cameras. So enough of the politics and back to Adobe.

I'm not keen on the subscription model, but at some point if I have to upgrade my CS5 then I will have no choice. So then I'll just get on with it.

If I don't have to upgrade, then that's even better, but time moves on and it may be inevitable. Windows 20 may not support 64 bit applications.
Best regards, John
tyronet2000
Posted 23/06/2013 - 10:09 Link
...and don't get me started on car insurance
Regards
Stan

PPG
CMW
Posted 23/06/2013 - 11:16 Link
johnriley wrote:
Indeed so CMW, companies and individuals need to make money to survive. We all earn money to pay our bills and buy more Pentax cameras. So enough of the politics and back to Adobe.

It's hard to dispute your first sentence, johnriley. But your last one in this extract is plain puzzling. I like to make decisions of the kind being debated here at least partly on the basis of trying to understand the motives for change and the degree to which the customer (all of us, potentially) is the beneficiary. You evidently have an expansive view of what comprises 'politics'.

If you feel only able to shrug your shoulders ('I'll just get on with it'), that's fine by me. No reason why we should all respond identically. Now, that might be a political statement...
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography
cabstar
Posted 23/06/2013 - 11:24 Link
Algernon wrote:
gartmore wrote:

'

PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
gwing
Posted 23/06/2013 - 11:26 Link
fatspider wrote:

You might be onto a good thing for Adobe here. Maybe whatthey should do is, instead of a flat fee, charge say 0.1p per photo per tool per layer. That would still keep their income levels high from the heavy pro users who are currently paying the high purchase costs but also allow legitimate use at a sensible price for the hobbyists currently driven to other products and/or piracy.
gartmore
Posted 23/06/2013 - 11:28 Link
I find the subscription model suits me and this is the third piece of business software I now use this way. I think for a lot of people the CC software would be fairer if you just paid for what you actually use, I don't need much of it but at the moment I'm using Lightroom, photoshop and Acrobat and that seems fair for the subscription I pay. For design professionals using all of it then it would be a fantastic bargain
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
johnriley
Posted 23/06/2013 - 15:18 Link
CMW wrote:
johnriley wrote:

It's hard to dispute your first sentence, johnriley. But your last one in this extract is plain puzzling. I like to make decisions of the kind being debated here at least partly on the basis of trying to understand the motives for change and the degree to which the customer (all of us, potentially) is the beneficiary. You evidently have an expansive view of what comprises 'politics'.

If you feel only able to shrug your shoulders ('I'll just get on with it'), that's fine by me. No reason why we should all respond identically. Now, that might be a political statement...

I think we got confused there CMW, I should have made it clearer that only the first part of that was a reply to you. The rest was just a generalised comment on straying into taxation and so on, which should have been separated out more clearly.

The metaphorical shrugging of the shoulders doesn't mean I'm happy. It means that if I can't do anything about it I ain't going to lose any sleep over it....
Best regards, John
tyronet2000
Posted 23/06/2013 - 15:24 Link
No one has mentioned the monthly rental for a telephone line, should we all have the opportunity to purchase one outright? There are other things which can only be rented and you never own so why the sudden Adobe is a monster campaign.
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.