Absolutely stunned by my K-5. Night shots hand-held.

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 10:45
I had often wondered if you could get away with shooting handheld at night if you had a very fast lens and great ISO performance in your camera. I've always enjoyed night photography, but there have been times (well, quite a few) when I wished I did'nt have to lug a big tripod with me. You could of course argue, use a monopod instead! But for a truly shackle-free experience I've always wanted to just 'shoot at the hip' so to speak.

Well, now I have a K-5, I thought I should give it a try. What an experience. It's been a while since I've been blown away by a camera.

All images are at f1.4. I had auto ISO set at a ceiling of 6400 and in 'fast' mode. I was using the siggy 30mm. Shots came in between ISO 1600 and 6400. Shot 2 is a composit of 4 images.

Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 08/08/2012 - 10:54

InFESTation

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 10:48
They are great shots, I am constantly amazed at what ISO setting we can get away with on the cameras now.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

droopsnoot

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 10:57
All very nice indeed. I looked at shot 4 and it shouted "Chester" as me, then I looked at your location. I like the composite as well, not been able to master those yet though I try to take a series of shots in most places I visit so I can have another go. The staircase shot is nice too, good shadows from that street lamp. Takes a few seconds in shot three to realise that the lower section is water reflection.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror

Jumbo48

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 11:32
Superb shots, amazing what can be achieved with the K5, thanks for sharing these with us.
Regards John/Jumbo

Northgrain

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 11:40
Really impressive. The first and fourth particularly float my boat
Tim

Some of my vaguely better stuff

womble

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 11:45
The increase in maximum ISO is one of the best developments in sensor technology of late. I'm not bothered about having dozens of megapixels, but usable low light images like these are just great and are the main reason I'd upgrade from my K20D to the K-5. Great set as well, especially the penultimate one.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 11:52
droopsnoot wrote:
I like the composite as well, not been able to master those yet though.

Whatever the method, make sure you have about half an image of overlap between each one.

I do composites in two ways, either manually or via Arcsoft Panorama Maker 4.

If manually, I have each image as seperate layers in a Photoshop document, making sure I opened each raw image in exactly the same way. Once I've tweaked each layer to make sure colours are aligned and perhaps using the distort function to align lines, I'll then look for natural breaks in the images to hide the seperations.

If there are many shots involved (such as a 180 degree shot) I'll use Panorama Maker 4 which is suprisingly good:

Bob

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 11:56
Thanks for the comments guys. Kris, you are spot on. Great ISO performance when used in situations like these really transforms techniques and gives great results, and is one of the few genuine reasons I would say is worth an upgrade for.
Bob

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 12:00
Some VERY nice shots there Pal

Algernon

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 12:09
Great stuff...... there will be no keeping you
in now!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 14:11
Algernon wrote:
Great stuff...... there will be no keeping you
in now!

Absolutely.

Now I've moved back to Chester and live a 5 min drive from the City Centre, and how much work I can acheive in a short space of time, i'll definitely be doing this more often.

In the space of one 1h 30m I took about 300 shots. Pre K-5, that would have taken several hours.
Bob

paulgee20

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 15:51
Superb examples for the ISO performance, nice ones....

Paul
K5's (2)both gripped, K10d gripped, Pentax 28-90 f3.5, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, Sigma 10-20 f.4-5.6.EX DC, Hoya 135 f2.8, Take on 28mm f2.8 Pentax AF360 flash, 2 fill in slaves. 30 metre remote release, Rt angle viewfinder, Giotto NOT 3261B Tripod with Manfrotto 808Rd4 ball head, Manfroto 4861RC2 monopoly, shoulder stock, various filters etc, Panasonic SET HBS HD Video cam, Tamrac Explorer 8x backpack and a sore back.....
-------------------------------------------------------
Photography is an index for measuring futility and pride.......

Paul

:wink
http://s743.photobucket.com/home/pg20_photos/index http://www.flickr.com/photos/pg20

wvbarnes

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 17:26
Excellent results, The composite is very clever

I'd be interested if you had Menu 3 High ISO NR and Slow Shutter Speed NR on auto or other settings.

Snootchies

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 20:38
Yes, I have High ISO NR on 3200 onwards. 1600 is set to 2 out of three.

I have'nt properly experimented with different settings yet. Would be interested in what others like to use.
Bob

Stuey

Link Posted 08/08/2012 - 23:03
Oooooh Telford's Warehouse - makes me want some pub food a few beers and some live music

Nice shots but nostalgia has taken over
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.