Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Aaaargh!!!! No! No! No!......

McBrian
Posted 13/03/2006 - 19:27 Link
Is this what I think it is, my two prized lenses.

Comment Image

SMC-FA 135 f2.8 (IF)

Comment Image

SMC-A*300 f4

If it is whats the best plan of attack.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
dexteruk
Posted 13/03/2006 - 19:58 Link
why? what do you think it is..
McBrian
Posted 13/03/2006 - 20:10 Link
Ye I know what it is, I just want someone to tell me it is not, to make me feel better.

This has appeared in the last 3 or 4 weeks (last time I used them), they never got damp or wet that I can remember, they sit on a shelf in my study when not in use. I can only suppose the the spours have been lying dormant for a while and have come to life while the central heating has been going full blast for the last month, I don't know, don't know enough about the subject.
Cheers
Brian.
dexteruk
Posted 13/03/2006 - 20:21 Link
ok then - what is it?
MattMatic
Posted 13/03/2006 - 20:30 Link
Brian,
Aaaargh!
There was this thread a while back:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1831

Hope that helps!
Matt
Ammonyte
Posted 13/03/2006 - 20:31 Link
Well it looks a lot like f*n*u* as shown here http://www.chem.helsinki.fi/~toomas/photo/fungus/. I'd bite the bullet and get them professionally cleaned, too risky for homebrew.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Mannesty
Posted 13/03/2006 - 21:02 Link
I think they are well beyond saving. Just send them to me for humane disposal

I have a couple of lenses with a similar problem but its not affecting the images yet, not that I can see anyway. I for one would be interested to know the cost of a lens cleaning service and whether or not it is succesful.

Whilst the accessible glass surfaces are easily cleaned once removed from the lens barrel (that's not to say that the fungus is easily removed), the remaining internal surfaces could remain contaminated and it is reasonable to suppose that the fungus will again grow over the glass.

One defence against fungus appears to be to leave the affected lens in the sun for a while but I question whether we would then suffer from oil on the diaphragm blades. Does anybody have any success/horror stories as a result of leaving a prized lens in the sun ?
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
McBrian
Posted 13/03/2006 - 21:19 Link
Thanks for all the replies folks, still trying to figure out why now....but It's not affecting any images at the moment.

Nice try Pete

I'm over in Edinburgh this weekend so I'll pop them into Cameratiks and see what they think, the FA135 can do with a full service anyway as its always had a fair amount of dust (yup I know now.....potential spours) inside since I got it but I never noticed anything wrong withthe A*-300,that's what I get for sorta stealing it from an uninformed seller.
Cheers
Brian.
Mannesty
Posted 13/03/2006 - 21:44 Link
Rumbled again.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
johnriley
Posted 13/03/2006 - 22:05 Link
If these were my lenses I would isolate them from the others and either ditch them or have them cleaned professionally. Are they insured against accidental damage? Would this be a valid claim?

If you bought them second hand then there is no knowing how they have been stored.

The only other thought I have is that if repair is uneconomical it would at least be interesting to try a DIY repair. But only as a last resort before they are discarded....
Best regards, John
niblue
Posted 13/03/2006 - 22:21 Link
Best of luck getting those lenses fixed.

A question about Cameratiks - I need to get my FA* 85mm serviced so would you recommend them as a local option?

P.S. I relented and bid on your Tokina as I couldn't resist it.
McBrian
Posted 13/03/2006 - 22:37 Link
Hi Niblue, can't say I recommend them yet, but there's few about locally.

I bought a Tamron 28-200 on eBay that was broken on arrival and the seller was refusing to take it back, had to get a statment that it was broken beyond repair to claim my cash back through Paypal, the guy was nice and helpfull so I'll give them a for real try this time.

Hope to get the lens in the post to you tomorrow, it had 29 watchers at the end and not one of them bidded.
Cheers
Brian.
niblue
Posted 14/03/2006 - 07:08 Link
McBrian,

Thanks, and best of luck getting those lenses sorted out.

Regards
Steve
McBrian
Posted 25/03/2006 - 18:44 Link
Update on my fugii infections
Payed a visit to the lens doctor in Edinburgh today, the great news is that both lenses are cleanable with no permanent damage to the optics , 70 for the 300mm and 50 for the 135mm including a full service and a 7day turn around.
Niblue
Quote:
A question about Cameratiks - I need to get my FA* 85mm serviced so would you recommend them as a local option?

Looks like the answer to your question is a big yes, the repair guy was both very knowledgable and helpfull. Super shop by the way.
Cheers
Brian.
niblue
Posted 25/03/2006 - 18:53 Link
Brian - excellent news on the cleanup of your lenses. I'll pay them a visit myself as I've a couple of things I'd like to get done.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.