A weird looking daffodil and a very old lens.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 23/02/2021 - 00:08
These were sent to me by mistake and looked strange from the first shoots. I've since learned that they
are called Narcissus Bulbocodium or Hoop Petticoat daffodils. They have made a nice display on the
kitchen windowsill. This image is with a k5 and Meyer Optic Primotar. The others are with a K1, Pentax
bellows and a 1940s Schneider Kreuznach 105mm Radionar.

I have no idea what is supposed to pollinate them in the wild. The stigma sticks out of the corona on
the end of a very long style where most bees would probably miss colliding with it.

The stamens don't ripen at the same time so it looks like the flower uses 'belt and braces' tactics anyway.

It's a heck of a long way to the end of the corona, which again suggests a different pollinator in their
native Spain and Portugal.

All told, a very interesting and pretty spring flower.

If anyone knows any more about them, please feel free .....
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Defragged

Link Posted 23/02/2021 - 10:17
First image is lovely. Another fine example of the capability of vintage glass and the pleasure to be had from using it.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

johnriley

Link Posted 23/02/2021 - 11:19
It's a Petticoat Daffodil or Narcissus bulbocodium. Other common names: Johnquil or Daffadowndilly.

That's what my App Picture This! tells me.
Best regards, John

Aitch53

Link Posted 23/02/2021 - 16:58
Try growing Fritillaria imperialis 'Maxima Lutea' (Crown Imperial) - they look pretty weird too.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

davidstorm

Link Posted 23/02/2021 - 22:50
Interesting information about the flowers, but what grabs me is the expertise with which these shots have been taken. Great work.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidwozhere

Link Posted 24/02/2021 - 00:00
Yes, vintage glass can produce some wonderful results. And now I know what a 'jonquil' is! Thank you John.
I've grown Crown imperials - they are very showy but boy, do they stink! Now you've reminded me Aitch I will get some (expensive too).
And thank you for those kind words David.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 24/02/2021 - 00:20
Just out of interest, here is the Schneider lens in question. I have slightly modified the rear to make it an M42 fitting. The
only part of the shutter still working is the aperture mechanism; the remainder is simply junk but the glass is superb.

Sry

Link Posted 25/02/2021 - 22:32
Beautiful little set David. 3 is the most striking to me, and 5 has great balance and wonderful light.

LennyBloke

Link Posted 26/02/2021 - 14:02
davidstorm wrote:
Interesting information about the flowers, but what grabs me is the expertise with which these shots have been taken. Great work.

Agree totally - a real testament to your skills
LennyBloke

davidwozhere

Link Posted 28/02/2021 - 00:19
Thank you. Comments such as these are really encouraging and appreciated.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 08/03/2021 - 11:49
Never seen a daff like that before.

Great results with those lenses
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.