A Walk along the Jurassic Coast

Dorset_Mike

Link Posted 20/04/2017 - 15:32
A few images taken during a walk this week Eastwards from West Lulworth along the cliff path to Mupe Bay and back along the coast path to Lulworth Cove. Much of the route passes through the army's Lulworth live firing ranges and is closed to the public for much of the year and so remains totally unspoiled. It was still open on the day of the walk following the Easter week-end.
All taken with K-5ii + DA18-135 ED AL IF DC WR
1. Looking down into Lulworth Cove.

2. About a mile further East looking over Mupe Bay, past Worbarrow Bay and Kimmeridge Bay to St Aldhems Head.

3. Mupe Bay and beach.

4. Cove below the coast path.

5. Looking East to St Aldhems Head.

6. The Fossil Forest. The cylindrical shapes are the fossilised remains of algae that once surrounded the trunks of pre-historic trees.

7. More of the Fossil Forest.

8. Back at Lulworth Cove.

9. The Isle of Portland framed by the entrance to Lulworth Cove.

Thanks for looking.
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!

Antony

Link Posted 20/04/2017 - 17:12
Good views, we've booked a cottage in the area in September so It's interesting to see these shots.

HarisF1

Link Posted 20/04/2017 - 18:41
Those images turned out great. Really nice composition and colours (and what a lens!!).

Mag07

Link Posted 20/04/2017 - 18:50
Absolutely gorgeous set Mike. Beautiful, natural. Makes me wish I was there
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

davidwozhere

Link Posted 21/04/2017 - 01:07
It is indeed a splendid walk and you've done it proud here. But if anyone is thinking to follow this example, be warned, the climbs and descents along the cliffs are formidable! The photo shows the initial ascent onto the army range ..... and the one in the background is even worse!

Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link
Last Edited by davidwozhere on 21/04/2017 - 01:09

McGregNi

Link Posted 21/04/2017 - 08:25
Some gorgeous coastal scenery beautifully captured. My favourites are the ones of Lulworth Cove with their 'wraparound' compositions. Nice blue skies and seas, and no doubt the zoom allowed great flexibility and response framing up shots. You have given a strong sense of 'wish I was there' !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

davidtrout

Link Posted 21/04/2017 - 08:47
This is a beautiful set of pictures from a beautiful area. I must try and get there sometime. The closest I've ever been to this region is Chesil Beach and that was many years ago. Would love to go again.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

Dorset_Mike

Link Posted 21/04/2017 - 14:11
Thank you all for your kind comments. As always, half the challenge of taking interesting photographs is being in the right place at the right time. Photographically, these are simple images, taken without filters in the middle of the day. With such beautiful scenery, glorious weather and a Pentax however, it would have been difficult to take a dull photograph. I am very pleased with my acquisition of the 18-135 as a walkabout lens, it delivers some very pleasing images if I can hit the sweet spot. You are right about the hills, David, some of them are quite savage. On the left hand side of No.2 you can see the "Dorset doddle", a flight of over 170 steep steps. Not for the faint hearted - or weak kneed! Fortunately, the walk we did was relatively kind so that I could still hold the camera still when I needed to.
Regards,
Mike
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.