A remarkable lens from around 60 years ago

davidwozhere

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 01:08
I have just acquired a Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar from some time back in the 40s or 50s. Given its focal length I wondered if it would be good for macro? It was full of fungus but is easily dissassembled and it cleaned up very well. I cobbled up a 32mm > M42 mount for it. The Prontor shutter is so much scrap but I don't need that. The iris is beautifully smooth and the image is exceptionally bright when wide open and still good at f8.

It is presently on the K5, on the end of the full 3-piece Asahi M42 extension tube set with a further adjustable double helicoid mounted in the middle for focussing. I forgot to photograph it but will do so tomorrow. It's a learning curve but the results are amazing. The working distance for these shots is a full 30inches and they are all cropped to the subject with magnifications up to 150% !

As an example of the crops that have been made, here is the full original and cropped subject

Most at ISO200 and f8. Even though the front element is well exposed it appears quite resistant to flare but a hood is the next project.
Comment welcomed ....
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

08tiger

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 06:42
As old as me but sharper
C&C welcome.
Don.

pschlute

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 09:31
Nice.
Peter

My Flickr page

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 10:44
Pretty impressive and the bokeh seems nice and smooth
LennyBloke

davidstorm

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 20:00
That's one impressively sharp lens. Excellent results, but a shame you can't get closer than 30 inches. They would be unbelievably sharp with less cropping.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidwozhere

Link Posted 25/05/2018 - 23:43
At 105mm I don't suppose you can get a lot closer. I still don't have things right because it won't go to infinity yet. I shall continue to play with it.
Here it is on the K5 with the "trombone" helicoid in the middle.

and two more from the garden today

Some mint and one of its enemies on a knapweed flower

bjolester

Link Posted 27/05/2018 - 00:30
Impressive results from such a vintage lens! I also like the look of the trombone helicoid on the K-5, it is a stark contrast to the K-5 fitted with one of the minute DA primes😊
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

davidwozhere

Link Posted 27/05/2018 - 00:43
I think Pentax made a similar one under the original Asahi name. This particular helicoid is a custom made job that I found several years ago on E bay. It is designed for lenses that have no focussing device of their own and will move the lens through about 15mm. I finally found its optimum extension today. It now has 140mm of extension with the helcoid at full stretch so it must have sat on the end of a big bellows of some sort originally.

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.