A quick set from this morning...

matwhittington

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 11:57
Hello all. I have a shiny new telephoto lens to play with but the weather is rubbish and it turns out I apparently have ‘work’ to do today instead of heading out with the camera, so to sate my need to take pictures of something I nipped into my tiny backyard with the DFA 100mm and grabbed a couple of macro shots...

First up, a dandelion between showers...

and a blade of grass likewise

The garden pests march down the underside of a bud (keeping dry perhaps)

and a tiny, almost transparent, snail pretends to be king of the castle

All were taken with flash and hand-held... hope you like them. As usual, any C&C welcome.

Regards

Mat W
Mat W

My Flickr: link

i-Berg

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 12:07
Entertaining macro shots - and the flash complemented each of them IMO. Thanks for posting.

PS Aphids are the bane of our rose bushes...
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

paulyrichard

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 12:54
The first and last photos appeal a lot to me, Mat. Real nice focusing efforts.
"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/

womble

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 13:31
All good but that first shot is just stunning. Wow...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

aliengrove

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 14:16
Yes that first shot is fantastic...the snail is a great shot too! They are all good though I am not particularly enthused over the blade of grass... I can see why people have been raving about this lens.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

JonSchick

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 14:42
Very nice shots (esp 1st and last). The dandelion reminds me of those fibre optic lights that used to change colour that were all the rage in the 70's!
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 15:22
Nice set, the first one is superb.
Enter it for the PPG, it would be a certain bet,
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

matwhittington

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 15:41
Thanks for the comments everyone! The Dandelion was amazing to look at through a macro lens (the DFA 100 is a smasher in my view) - there are so many layers to it and it's a bit of a challenge to keep what you want in focus (note to self - use a tripod!) but am pleased with the result - I took quite a few shots that look more o less like this. The snail was teeny-tiny as well... I would estimate about a centimetre and a half nose to tail - I think the dead looking conifer it was on has become a snail nursery as there are loads of the tiny things on it

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike on the PPG front - I think I'll enter it.

Thanks again all

Mat W
Mat W

thoughton

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 15:56
First and last for me too. The snail is good but wish the flash reflections weren't there. The dandelion is very impressive, brilliant even
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

coker

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 16:08
No.1 for me.
"Grabbed a couple of shots........" !!!!
Inspirational!

best regards,
Roger
The more I look, the more there is to see!

matwhittington

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 17:36
Thanks Tim and Roger, much appreciated. Tim, I agree with you on the flash reflections on the snail, although the light was pretty poor this morning and this was a dank dark corner of my yard so I was stuck with flash... If the weather perks up mind, then I'll be out there again...

Mat
Mat W

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 17:45
Mat, if this is what you do under duress and by just "popping out into the yard"...

Excellent work and revelling in what your new lens can do!

Best wishes,

Andrew

P.S It is so cold here that I didn't take the camera out. It's not often I say that!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

CoDa

Link Posted 08/05/2010 - 22:23
Nos 1& 3 are great, love the dandelion its my favorite.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.